Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Hi girls,
      I’ve got a job! I start in a couple of weeks.
      During the entire recruiting process I was on the look-out for manipulative and controlling people. Scanning them like the control tower at an airport. There were none. I relaxed. The people I met were humans, normal human beings. None of the controlling types I was surrounded with so much these past few years.

I cried before the interview, I cried a lot after but at the interview it self I was at ease and able to concentrate. I was my “old” self again!
      I had to go two steps down the career ladder because of my exhaustion but I am actually relieved because that way I won’t have to worry about my performance. It’s a full time office job, so at least I will be able to sit, but going full-time is still quite though to start with – I haven’t been working since a while.
      I am still on meds and need tons of sleep so I schedule my life around my precious hours of sleep and my health. My recovery comes first. The job comes second.
      So here it is. I dared taking a little step forward 🙂
      Sending you all warm hugs.

Hope, lovely
      I am so proud of you and so is my family which consists of my daughter and I.
      You are shining a light for the rest of us.
      I don’t feel currently able to hold down a job but I really appreciate role models like yourself going forward as it personally gives me hope that maybe I could do it too.
      this is really lovely news
      keep posting
      all best from my family babes and me
      ftc
      x

mum@pop
        Participant

Brilliant news – my job keeps me going – no one knows about the abuse i had from my son – nd some from my daughter – my good friends like me for me

Freedomfighter
      Participant

Hi Hopelifejoy,
      Congratulations! That’s fabulous news. I wish you all the best of luck with your new chapter. Very glad to hear you’re still looking after yourself and putting your health first.
      So pleased for you.
      You’re a shining star of hope for all of us.
      Thank you for posting your happy news.
      Hugs ❤

lover of no contact
      Participant

Well done. Great news. Delighted for you! I too went down my career level so I don’t have the big responsibilities. I too made the decision to put my recovery and self-care first. I do not regret the decision as I have remained well mentally and I have managed financially to date on the reduced income. One good thing came out of living with an abuser so many years I learnt to manage on little money,lol, as the family money was always diverted to his needs.

Onwards and upwards.

Serenity
      Participant

Fantastic, well done!

Here’s to a wonderful future of independence! x

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Thank you so much for your sweet and encouraging comments. I’ll keep you updated on how it goes.

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Hi girls,
      My first week on the job is behind me.
      It was interesting, sometimes even fun and also very exhausting. I have mixed feelings to be honest. The workload is very high, which makes me feel uncomfortable. My recovery comes first, job second. If my job doesn’t respect my private time, making me work over time a lot then there is a problem.
      On the social side of the job, I was nervous the three first mornings going there but I comforted myself telling myself that I love me right now the way I feel, feeling nervous. That relaxed me immediately.
      Now it’s weekend, today I broke down in tears, from exhaustion.
      I guess I’ll try it for six months and then I’ll see.
      Warm hugs to you ladies

Chickadee
      Participant

Hi Hopelifejoy.

That was beautifully written/expressed. So thrilled for you! 🎉

Chickadee

White Rose
      Participant

Congratulations! Lovely news. Good luck and enjoy I hope you settle in quickly and make some good friends x*x

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

I am miserable at my job. I am taking meds for anxiety and depression still so I am not sure if it’s me or the job, but the gut feeling, the sadness I never felt before in a job + colleagues confirming that it’s that bad are adding up to me taking a chance and quit.

I am quite an organized person and at the same time also very much carpe diem. My department isn’t organized at all, works only ad-hoc. After getting out of a relationship of that sort I can’t afford my health to go through this kind of bull* again. My health comes first. My nerves, my heart, my body, my soul, my mind. Everything.

I think I made a mistake. I shouldn’t have taken the first job coming. I was on benefits, they told me to not rush , to go to therapy…but I am not able to take advice from anyone *outside* those sharing my own pain. I wanted to be independent. Be my own master. Not taking orders from anyone anymore. I think I got slightly blinded by my own determination. Was too desperate sort of.

I am handing in my resignation by the end of this month. I’ll be able to cover my own expenses for two month – and not one day more – to search for a new one otherwise I have to back to getting benefits.
      I made a mistake and I have a chance to correct my journey. I’ll try. I have absolutely nothing to loose.

Listening to Amy Winehouse to comfort me right now. She sings soulfully love and hurt that fits mine beautifully.

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Hi HopeLifeJoy,

Don’t despair, it sounds good that you recognised it wasn’t the right job for you early on. I had the same experience once, I was on benefits and got offered this job at an employer everyone in my area looks up to, getting picked over all these other people and I was ecstatic thinking it was this great new path. Well months later I was seeing an occupational therapist as I hated the job and the employer with a passion! I realised that both the type of job and the hierarchical large employer were a very bad fit for me. I quit and found a much better paying more enjoyable job then explored self employment which I’m trying to get into as its my favourite way to work. In the end every experience teaches us something valuable.

What helped me was to get some big pens and paper and write a list of everything I disliked about the job and any positives on a separate list. Then use that when looking for the next job to avoid a repeat.

Well done for following your gut.

mum@pop
        Participant

hopelifjoy – i need a new job. it’s too stressful but i have no savings to manage till i either get benefits or a new job, i jut feel stuck when i should feel free

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Thank you SunshineRainFlower , that’s very inspiring what you did! It gives me hope that yes there must something better out there for me too.
      I’ll write down as well which tasks I like to do and which I don’t. It gives clarity indeed once things are on paper.
      It’s going to be ok. Wishing everyone a beautiful day.

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

I broke down. Called in sick today. Going to see the doctor Wednesday. The workload is so high that I have to stay 9 to 10 hours at the office each day. It is so much more than I anticipated. Full-time and not one minute more was already stretching my limit. This is too much. And the work type it’s totally not my cup of tea. It’s data entry all day. Quantity. My brain needs activity, I can’t do this. I need more creativity. Correspondence and contact with others.

I’ll calm down first and see what my options are. Part-time for sure. I am so exhausted. It’s unreal.

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

It sounds similar to that job I hated too, so boring and mind numbing it made me want to scream. I have no idea how people do some jobs without going insane. I ended up getting reduced hours then signed off it affected my mental health badly.

I agree I can only do part time now, after burnout years ago I’ve never had the same energy level. Can you find some online exercise sheets to do to plan the sort of job you’d like? Something to keep you going and inspire you whilst you work your notice period. If you can, book a holiday for straight after too so you can start your job hunt refreshed. I’m in the same boat, need to find a part time job that I ideally like and that pays me enough to live on.

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Mind numbing. That’s exactly it thank you! I got so sick to my stomach every day and depressed the entire weekend that tonight I decided to quit right away, first thing tomorrow morning. I relaxes me just thinking of never have to return work there.
      I also know I need part-time, something creative, using my language skills.
      Good luck to you SunshineRainFlower, I hope you find something that you like. You could be a blogger or writer or something, I like your writing, I think you express your feelings nicely 🙂

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Hi girls,

I quit my job today. I’m burned out. I got up this morning, to go back to bed after half an hour to fall deeply asleep again.

I informed my social worker of my situation and they showed me understanding and care and they take me back! I’m so relieved.

I’m very exhausted but it’s moving forwards somehow, I feel better and calmer.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content