Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      KIP.
      Participant

Our joint bank account was frozen by my husband after he emptied it obviously lol. Although he stupidly deposited a small amount after this and couldn’t get it out lol. However the bank charges £5 a month for this account even though it is frozen. This has been going on for X years and soon the bank account will go into negative and I’m assuming incur charges. My ex refuses to take his name off the account and even if I take mine off, it won’t make a difference as it takes two signatures, mine and his to close the account. The bank insist on taking this charge every month even though I’m not allowed to use the account. It’s appalling how I’m still tied to this monster and the bank are useless and unsympathetic. Has anyone come across this? I’ve contacted the financial ombudsman and they say that because it’s a joint account they can only take up my complaint about the bank if both named parties on the account agree!!! I did explain that I have a restraining order and he has a criminal conviction for assaulting me. Next step I suppose is get my solicitor involved but that’s more money.

Suntree
      Participant

Have you talked to the bank? Sometimes you have to get passed the first line of people and to a manager that specializes in difficult cases.
      Point out to the bank that soon it will be going into the red and you want to resolve this.
      Keep all documentation and a diary of all contact.
      I would also see if there is something CAB can advice or if there is some free legal advice first. That way you have a clearer direction of who can help.
      If not then maybe it will be the courts that will have to sign on his behalf.
      I had to get that to sell the house as he was refusing.

Serenity
      Participant

Hi KIP,

I had exactly this scenario. But in fact, ours was in overdraft after he emptied it and a big bill went out.

He refused to help pay it off. So I just paid half off, and (detail removed by Moderator) They told us to pay it off together. As I had already paid half off, I wasn’t going to pay the rest, so sat and waited. In the end, he gave in and paid it off. He was just trying to push and push as far as he could go- but I think he realised that the new me wasn’t going to budge.

I was told by the bank that once the account was at zero, it could be closed ( it is now closed). I would mention this situation as part of your divorce proceedings.

It’s his last attempt at bullying you.

KIP.
      Participant

Thanks I’ve been trying to reason with everyone at the bank. Their complaints department but they just keep saying under the terms of the account blah blah blah. What annoys me is that I cannot use they account. They are preventing me from taking money out yet they are taking money out my account! The system needs to be changed for the next woman in my position X

White Rose
      Participant

I had a joint account he refused to close but he wasn’t using it. He told me to go to bank and sort it if I wanted it closed. Bank said it needed both of us to close it, he disagreed with them! After 6 months he asked me to meet him and close it as he wanted it sorted.
      I was however advised to write to head office explaining the situation and stating I was not permitted to access the account and had no intention of doing so and that as I was denied access by my ex I was absolving myself of all responsibility for any charges on that account incurred after the date of the letter. I was told to copy in him, his solicitor and mine to the letter. Can’t remember where the advice came from. Not sure it would have helped as it never got tested as it never went overdrawn – he kept minimum in it.
      Someone else told me they went to bank and handed over their card for the account saying they wanted to close it and showed solicitor letter outlining issues and it was successful. It depends on bank I think – mine was useless (detail removed by Moderator) – even my tears didn’t help sway them!!
      If it comes to charges I think it could be included in financial settlement legal document

Serenity
      Participant

I agree, White Rose.

KIP: bring it up in the proceedings x

KIP.
      Participant

Hey, same bank lol 👿 Dreadful dreadful bank. Will bring it up with solicitor. Ask her to write and tell him to sign form but i know he wont. The bank wrote to him and i guess he binned the letter because they didnt get a reply.

WalkerInTheRain
      Participant

Do said bank have a twitter account?
      Sometimes it’s the only time large companies sit up and take action these days.

White Rose
      Participant

Hi KIP
      I’ve sent you something by private message… might be an option depending on how furious you are!
      X*x

Dragonfly
      Participant

Go to the financial conduct authority. Get them to review your complaint. please mention the phrase ‘treating customers fairly’. You are not being treated fairly. (detail removed by Moderator) please do not let this go x

Dragonfly
      Participant

Also mention financial loss. The distress it’s causing. You have to say it as it is. These words p***k their ears up. There’s a good chance you will be compensated financially too.

Confused123
      Participant

Hi Hun

Gosh i hate these banks, sadly u do need both parties signaature before accoutn cna be closed, i would still write a letter to the head office complaining since localbranches are not giving u a satisfactory response. State that the account was only frozen to prevent money be taken out but your ex still did anyway b4 freeze was palced. Explain the acocunt is not been used by either parties for any d/d and as balance is zero u wish to remove your name from a/c. and refuse to pay for fees if accoutn is not used and not required. they will say u need his permission , state u are not allowed to make any contact with each another. If u atill get eh same response go to the financial obsurdy and they wil have to deal with as bank are not been fair

KIP.
      Participant

Thanks for all your replies. I’m waiting to hear from the Financial Ombudsman as I was told they couldn’t deal with my complaint as it involved a joint account and they need his permission to investigate! So I’ve complained about them and am waiting on the Ombudsman Complaints Department calling back! It’s exhausting. I know he’s doing this so that I have to make contact. Never ever will I do that. Next step is CAB or my MP. I will also write to the Head Office of the bank and keep it for my records.

Confused123
      Participant

GOOD ON YOU KIP,

Ayanna
      Participant

What a horrible bank. That is another problem which needs to be highlighted.
      Can you opt out from that bank completely, so that they have to contact you for every charge that arises.
      If you refuse to pay if everything else fails, something needs to be done.
      Get a GP certificate of how vulnerable and traumatised you are. Write your own statement how traumatised you are and that it is impossible for you to communicate with the abuser.
      I hope the Ombudsman can help.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content