Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Atsah
      Participant

I have really struggled today.i have just started counselling and have a session tomo.she has asked me to do a timeline of the worst of the abuse i have put it off until today.she also wants to discuss my PTSD symptoms i know this has got to be done and i need to go through it all but it was so much harder than i thought to write it down and there is (detail removed by Moderator) years of bad times.i just get so upset with what my children had to go through and i wish i had been strong enough to stop it.now i am really anxious about tomo.i do want this but i also just want to put it all away again.thinking of u all x

Texas
      Participant

How about doing just a little bit at a time? Might not be so overwhelming then.

Atsah
      Participant

Yes thanks, I am trying to but there are (detail removed by Moderator) years of bad times to sort through i start writing one thing then that triggers something else buf you are right i need to concentrate on few things rather than trying to deal with it all at once.

Texas
      Participant

You can do it, you’ve got this.

Atsah
      Participant

Thanks for ypur support.i really appreciate it.

Marmalade
      Participant

Hi, I really relate to this. I had trauma counselling which involved going back into the incidents. I also found it v hard as it was totally triggering. With PTSD, the triggering means reliving the incident, far more than a memory, so you actually relive the experience. Analysing incidents and removing fixed thoughts about them is part of the therapy, but make sure you go at a pace you are comfortable with. It is OK to tell the therapist that you are uncomfortable and need to change the focus. A time line seems like an overload of incidents.
      Maybe try it in bitesize chunks. Good luck.

Atsah
      Participant

Thanks all.i had 2nd session it was so hard reliving the incidents.i had to do it at work aswell.therapist did say we will do it a little bit at a time as it was so painful.i was in bits afterwards a work friend came to sit with me for a bit afterwards so i could try and relax again.i know i have got to do it but it’s really hard as you all know.i had a long work meeting today on teams and people where firing questions at me i thought my head was going to explode.i keep forgeting my words with the anxiety and just felt i made a complete idiot of myself.

Texas
      Participant

Hey, well done for what you have achieved. You should be really proud of yourself 👏

Counselling can be mentally and emotionally tiring, so perhaps take that day or half day off work to recover. It’s self care, and you deserve that ❤️

Atsah
      Participant

Thanks.you are very kind x

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content