Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      betterdays
      Participant

Relaxing sun shining through the Windows in the room and this awful feeling came over me. I honestly thought I were back in my other house with him. I’ve chicken dinner cooking and iys like I’m still with him and hes going to walk in from work soon. I’m still scared now fear going through me like I’ve to still be on stand by. It’s been almost a year too….xx

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Bdays, a member called Inneedofsomepeace posted on here a couple of hours ago, I think you two have some things in common. It might help you to talk with her. X*X

Serenity
      Participant

Flashbacks are a horrible part of recovery.

Cooking smells can trigger memories- especially if your ex used food as a subject of dispute and argument. I remember you saying he was critical about your cooking.

There have been strange moments when I have been transported back in time, and it’s like all that had happened didn’t happen- often when I am doing things I used to do. Like today, I gave my garden furniture a lick of paint. I haven’t done that since he left. I was transported back in time, and it’s like I forgot that all the court case and divorce had happened.

Half an hour later, reality hit me again.

Our minds play peculiar tricks on us. Next time you are in a sunny spot, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you are free to sit there as long as you like, that you don’t need to jump up to fetch his supper or to stop him shouting at the boys. If that’s not freedom, I don’t know what is! X

undertherainbow
      Participant

You’re having flashbacks betterdays. When this happens tell yourself this isn’t real, I am having a flashback which is normal for my recovery, I am safe, I am here. Focus on parts of your body and relax them, internally tell yourself to relax muscle groups.
      You can do it. This won’t be forever. I’ve followed your struggle BD and it won’t be forever. One day you’ll be over all of this. Promise. XX

betterdays
      Participant

Thanks everyone for your feedback ur all so lovely xx

Anonymous
      Inactive

You and each of your lovely deserving boys are entitled to a happy and free life. You are well on your way Betterdays. XX

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content