Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Cornflake
      Participant

I know this subject depends very much on personal circumstances but is there anyone out there, who jointly owns or owned a property, walk out and leave the marital home. I am giving this some thought, have been advised by a solicitor that (removed by moderator). I am not working but have savings. Sorry if this is a bit jumbled my heads all over the place right now. Can anyone share their experiences if remotely similar to mine would be helpful.

Twitcher
      Participant

Hi Cornflake,
      I am in a similar situation to you, I’m in the process of divorcing my husband but we are still living together in our joint property. Unfortunately he won’t leave and I haven’t got anywhere to go because of financial reasons other than a refuge. My solicitor also told me (detail removed by moderator). It sounds as though you are going through a tough time at the moment and I feel like I want to flee all the time, just trying to take it day by day but it’s so hard. I hope I’ve helped a bit, sending much love x*x

Footballfan1
      Participant

Hi both,

I think this is correct, your rights to the home do not change.

I am at the opposite end to you, I’m in the home paying the full mortgage myself.

Ex is not paying anything towards the mortgage.
      He is still entitled to the same amount of equity as me, even though he is not living here or paying towards the mortgage.
      Xx

Twitcher
        Participant

Hi Footballfan1,

It sounds as though things are tough for you too. All we want is a peaceful life and one that we all deserved but there seems to be so many obstacles in the way, its so frustrating. Sending strength to you both x*x

Footballfan1
      Participant

I agree, all we want is to live peacefully, but abusers have a way of making it hell no matter our circumstances.
      Sending strength to you too. Xx

iliketea
      Participant

it depends if you are married or not. If not it gets very complicated if you do not have a Separation Agreement in place, or a Cohabiting agreement. Or a Deed of Trust, but that needs to be watertight. Will dm too as not sure if the legal advice will stay on the open forum.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content