Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • #162001

      Where do you start, if you want to leave but own a home together, I am not working and both of our adult children still live at home (both have mental health issues, almost certainly due to living in this hell hole). Sorry, I know this is a silly post but had to write it down. Feel so trapped.

    • #162003

      I am so sorry you feel trapped, most of us will know that feeling. You probably need to speak to someone who can give you personal advice, taking into account your financial situation. Try and find a CAB or something similar, where advice is free. Solicitors are not always worth the money. Good luck and stay strong.

    • #162006

      Hi Cornflake, yoir post isn’t silly at all x

      same situation re housing for me… most solicotrs offer free 30 mins consultations, DA/DV trained/experienced are the best in my opinion. If you receive UC you may be eligible for free help. You are entitled to half of everything as you are married including any assets, pensions your partner has.

      Also, have you contacted your local Women’s Aid as they can advise?

      Rights For Women is a free legal helpline.

      Do you have any support?
      Keep posting

      HFH ❤️

    • #162007

      Hi Cornflake,
      As Hereforhelp says, see a solicitor. Check it is one who does family law and has experience of financial provision on divorce.
      Some solicitors do offer an initial 30 minutes free consultation. To make the most of this time, get a list of all the assets and income, debts etc you know about.
      The solicitor can advise you on the divorce process and possible financial orders.
      The starting point after a long marriage is 50/50 of all assets, including the home and pensions etc. You can also get advice on whether you could claim ongoing maintenance from him if he is working, although courts do expect women to maximise their earning capacity especially if there are no young children.
      You will also need advice about your children. As they are adults they/their housing needs may not be considered. If they have significant disabilities then you can ask the solicitor if this makes a difference.
      Divorce can be expensive and legal costs can come out of the amount you receive, so it makes sense to sort it out as quickly as possible.
      Also get advice from your local DA charity as it can be very tricky living in the same house when divorce proceedings are ongoing. They may be able to offer you some support at this time.
      Good luck.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content