Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi all, just have to get a rant out!

It’s a horrible feeling when you’re left trying to guess whether someone has fallen asleep, had an accident, genuinely got into doing something else and forgotten to correspond with you or whether they are just giving you the silent treatment for some unknown reason. Or perhaps they are just wanting “space”, which is fair enough, I like to have “me” time sometimes, but I would ALWAYS vocalise it to those close to me before taking it. I would never leave somebody to guess as to what was going on. That is not nice.

I don’t require a lot in life, but some respect and just that little bit of care, in a consistent way, would be good – perhaps I’m the strange one, perhaps it is too much to ask that people behave in the same way as me. I just wouldn’t leave someone hanging, someone who you KNOW has endured years and years of the silent treatment on and off. I guess it shows that person’s true colours.

Will try and go to sleep now… hugs all x x x

Catjam
      Participant

Hi, the silent treatment or withdrawal of affection is a total Mind game. They know exactly what they are doing. My mum used to do it, I remember telling him in the early days how awful it was to live with. After an incident where he left bruises and I let my family know he changed tactics to the silent treatment.
      You feel like you are invisible and someone has pushed a button so no matter how loud you scream and shout it seems no one can hear you.
      I remember saying to him I would have preferred he hit me rather than ignore me.
      One day I decided to stop reacting to it. I had no idea what I had done. So I started doing things I wouldn’t do like reading while he was sat there. Instead of blindly following him to bed I decided to stay up an extra half an hour. Small things but it gave me a little power back.
      Today I am out but I was decades in. If it happened in a new relationship or friendship that person would be out of my life. If anything this past year has taught me that life is too precious and too short to live with all that negativity.
      Take care xx

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content