Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Poppyrose
      Participant

Hello Everyone,

This is the first time I am posting but have been reading this forum for over 3 years. I finally applied for divorce some time ago as I decided I could no longer stay with my abusive husband. He was mainly emotionally and financially abusive. After spending thousands of pounds in court and solicitor fees I would like to apply for legal aid as my savings are below the threshold. (detail removed by moderator) because of his personality he doesn t really care. My question is..I have tons of evidence that prove his abuse towards me.such as videos, witnesses, he has been arrested, financial situation etc..however my lawyer is saying that I should report his abuse to the GP to be able to get legal aid more easily. I am not sure what I should tell the GP. Shall I mention most of the things he has done to me? I feel like I am wasting a nhs appointment from the taxpayers just to get legal aid. I am not depressed even as I have finally have overcome the deep sadness and accepted that I had been married to someone I never really knew and could in fact kill me. There is something that is also bothering me.. I would like to become a foster carer after everything is over so that I will be able to take over the mortgage and raise my children and any other child that comes to our lives to have a comfortable life. At the moment my boss is quite flexible so I believe it would work our. However, I am afraid hat once this is all over and I report the abuse to the GP I will not be allowed to foster because of my background. I would appreciate any sensible advice.

Thank you.

diymum@1
      Participant

When I saw the GP I told her exactly what had happened I was abused by him and named it so harassment – intimidating behaviour – coercive control and the odd slap spitting and kicking. You only get ten mins so might be worth making a double appointment your more than entitled to get the nhs to support you in fighting this. It’s worth the public spending too. When we’ve been abused it’s a common symptom to feel we don’t deserve anything xx but that’s down to conditioning- you more than deserve this help xx

diymum@1
      Participant

The fostering side off things shouldn’t be affected you haven’t done anything unlawful or wrong xx him only xx

Courage157
      Participant

Use your GP letter in court too. The judge needs to know what he is still doing to you making you feel. It’s happening to me still (detail removed by moderator)yrs on… it never stops

Poppyrose
      Participant

Thank you everyone!xx

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content