Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Getmylifeback
      Participant

I know i need to speak to a solicitor and/or womans rights but can anyone tell me from recent experiences…

If i left our house where we have joint mortgage with my 2 kids into rental property will this have any detrimental effect of claiming fair share of marital assets?

House was his before we were together but i went on mortgage a fair few years ago and weve been married a number of years.

I know from previous threats that he expects me to walk away with nothing. I dont want hakf (which would be a substantial amount) but i do expect a decent amount to enable me to put a deposit on a house.

Thanks in advance.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Dear Getmylifeback,

As you say you need some legal advice regarding this, you can contact your local domestic abuse service to ask if they can link you with a legal adviser.

The Rights of Women have many comprehensive guides on their website, which may help answer some of your questions. They are;
      Living Together and the Law
      – Financial arrangements after marriage breakdown

I hope this helps a little.

Kind Regards,

Lisa

Women’s aid on here are not allowed to give legal advice.

But I can say from experience, you have many rights.

Leaving should not affect them.

You not doubt have a battle ahead, but with correct legal advice (and peer support on here as many of us have been through this…recent legal developments change but dynamics of abuse unfortunately stay the same, he will try to persuade you you are entitled to nothing..this is not true..)

Step by step. you have done the right thing keeping yourself safe.

You have your life. All else can be sorted.

ftc
      x

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content