Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Soyalakemeya2
      Participant

For those that have been in refuges what has your life been like after leaving?
      Were you able to find stability in housing and work? And mentally how are you compared to entering the refuge?

KIP.
      Participant

Hi there, I haven’t been in a refuge but I haven’t heard anything negative on here. Many women have been supported into housing and helped with benefits and schools etc. From what I’ve read there is a lot of support for you and access to more help. Talk to the national domestic abuse helpline or check out your local women’s aid website for more details. Nobody will push you into doing anything you don’t want to do so take your time and research it x

Soyalakemeya2
      Participant

Thank you

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Hi there, refuge was my breathing space for a while. I’m now in my own house, it’s perfect, big garden for my dog and a space for a vegetable patch if I can find the energy.
      My local wa helped with form filling not just for housing but for benefits too. They came to meetings with me, precovid😒 while in refuge I had weekly meeting with a support worker which changed to phone calls when I moved into my own home. It has stopped but I know I can still phone them to talk to or to help in the future when I want to move again. For ladies who have children, the local wa i used had their own children’s support workers too. We learned about domestic abuse and how things are changing legally, but as is the norm it’s a slow process. It’s a patriarchal society and as such a lot of the old prejudices and stereotyping has to be changed. That will only come with education.
      Learn all you need before you make any decisions, but know that abusers rarely change. They may appear to but that’s only until they get what they want which is you back under their control, and it gets tighter and tighter each time you return.
      Best wishes
      IWMB 💞💞

StrongLife
      Participant

I am now in another house, have furniture, cooking implements. Large tv, nice furniture and pets.

It took a while. It is quiet home and in a quiet area. There are neighbours around for safety. I have safety devices on my home just in case. These were at no cost to me.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content