Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      fizzylem
      Participant

My neighbour appears to be losing it with paranoia; thinks he’s been in her house drawing faces in the furniture; only I couldn’t see a thing but marks; no drugs or alcohol are at play here. I know money has gone missing in her house as she’s asked me to keep it for her now and then and has said this; she’s also asked if I’ve seen anyone at the house as windows and the back door has been left open when she’s returned – among other things. I can see that she thinks he’s been in the house drawing these faces to mess with her head. Only I really don’t think he has, but I can also see the reason she thinks this is because prior to this he’s played a number of mind games on her and stolen money a lot. Now her mental health is severly suffering with paranoia and she doesn’t know what is real and what is not – this is heartbreaking to witness.

Standing back with the third eye I can see what’s happened but only because I also know first hand what this does to a person as I’ve been here. When I felt like I was going mad that was the straw that broke the camels back for me and I walked away for good, but I know some of us still stay a long time after this – and this is what it can do to you when you do.

I think it’s really important to see the mind games for what they are – but when you’re in it – it feels like you are losing a grip on reality and it’s very frightening – especially when others perceive you as mad.

I think for me, now I’m out I can see he lied about pretty much everything and that I believed what he was saying when questioned at the time, suppose part of me wanted to and it just didnt add up back then because it’s not normal behaviour is it, you dont think he’s deliberately playing tricks on you. I’d ask him and think well he says not so this can’t be – this seems crazy now – but this is what we do isn’t it – ask the very person messing with our heads to clarify but all this does is give him a heads up you’re onto him.

He would disrespect me at every opportunity; meaning do exactly opposite of what I would like or expect for kicks – was passive aggressive. So, things would never be put back in the same place, meant I had to hunt for hours for things; or if I said thought you said…he’d say I never said that you are imagining things, you only hear what you want to hear, you’re mad.

Over time a person starts to think maybe he’s right. Because it doesnt enter your head that he’s doing these things on purpose out of disrespect for kicks.

I can see so clearly now that it was just a fun game to him – one that made him smile and laugh, feel in control; only for me it felt like madness.

What mind games did he torment you with? Thinking they can be hard to catch sometimes so it could be good to have a list. They really are dreadful and over time leave your mental health in tatters. FL.x

Dragon
      Participant

Mine just literally tells me I am mad, I have a mental problem, I am losing the plot. He will say ‘you really do have a mental issue, you need to see someone’ things like that. Then he also just finds a way to blame me for everything or twist things back on me. Says things that don’t make logical sense but somehow I believe them. I sometimes worry that my version of normal is distorted to the point I don’t know what ‘normal’ is really anymore.

diymum@1
      Participant

just not knowing if i was allowed to do things – i suppose goal post shifting. i painted my hall way doors once and a friend came up to visit popped in unannounced – he arrived in and went crazy. my friend and i were puzzled as to why i was only painting. very humiliating. i feel my abuser was quite sick actually – he advertised for a female singer because he wanted to practice music. one off them got in touch he brought her home i made tea for them both! then unbeknown to me she got ready in my bed room and they left for a night out! i was told dont exaggerate your being jealous. i always ended up feeling it my insecurities that were at play and that i was in the wrong. the truth was he would put other women right under my nose and rub my nose in it for his pleasure. horrible looking back xxxx your poor neighbour can you direct her to go see womens aid? xx

fizzylem
        Participant

Trying to DM, but you know what it’s like when we feel like this, a rabbit in the head lights, can’t see the wood for the trees; scared to put a foot wrong. It will def come to an end at some point but don’t know when; thankfuly she has her own home to retreat to – but keeps getting pulled back in – she’s aready changed locks once x

ultimatelyStrong
      Participant

Seeing something in front of my own eyes, evidence of an affair in text messages and emails. But being told I’m mental and seeing things until I start believing him. Being very kind and loving so that when he tells me I need to get help and I’m ruining the relationship I believe him because he’s convinced me he wants what’s best for me.

fizzylem
        Participant

Wow! That is so very powerful and perceptive US; you took me straight back there when I read this. Made me shudder; can relate a lot; you think he’s your bestie only he isn’t / wasn’t was he; it’s always only about what works for him, your best interests never came into hey x

Yellowflower
        Participant

I can also relate. Saw it in black and white but still somehow got talked into i had got it wrong. When you look back you think how on earth did he get me to believe him?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content