Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Lionking
      Participant

I’ve told him I want to separate and for the sake of the kids, I’ve been told not to point the finger of blame or to mention abuse.

He’s looking for somewhere to live and has contacted a friend who is an estate agent. I don’t know how long this process will take.

Any tips for continuing to live with an abuser after a break up but before they leave?

Hereforhelp
      Participant

Hi lionking, in ny experience abusers do not leave easily… my own abusive husband of many many years agreed to separate but he wouldn’t leave, he made excuses up, he tried being seen as a victim (in front of our children as he was trying to manipulate them).. it took months and months before he left…
      A very wise member of this forum (KIP ❤️) told me when I was at your stage to not believe a word my husband says, the gloves are off once you make the decision to separate.
      I hope your partner leaves soon
      HFH ❤️

Bananaboat
      Participant

My advice would be to live separately as possible. Cook meals for you & kids if you have them, wash your own clothes, have your own bedtime & routine, have times out without him. It feels wrong but it helps to set the boundary we’re not together. He’ll expect things to carry on as normal, at least the parts that benefit him. As already said, don’t believe a word he says about leaving. They lie. Be prepared for every version of him – nice, nasty & everything in between while he tantrums and tries to keep you. It’s like living in limbo so look after yourself x

Pixie123
      Participant

Hi all,

My soon to be ex-husband is doing this now as well. We’re in the process of divorce and me and my daughter are having to live with him in our house whilst this is happening. He says he can’t find anywhere but I’ve spoken to estate agents and there are lots of properties nearby – and he’s well-paid. He’s just keen to stay in the house and have me and my daughter leave due to the abusive, manipulative controlling things he’s been doing since I said I wanted a divorce.

I have an internal disability (detail removed by Moderator) and he’s not physically hit me but is trying to make it look like it’s my imagination or condition. He’s aggressive, slams the doors loudly or creeps around to make me jump and has threatened to hurt our poor little kitten (detail removed by Moderator) he’s said – although I can’t prove this. However I’ve spoken to the police and everything’s being logged if I need to show all examples of what he’s been doing.

They have said to think about getting a non-molestation order but I’m worried he’ll ignore this and make things worse. We can’t move out as I’m unable to work and I don’t want to leave the cats we have behind, especially now he’s said that.

I wondered if anyone’s been through something similar with invisible health issues and/or whether non-molestation orders make things worse. He does have a job and I’m thinking perhaps us doing a non-molestation order will make him aware that this could have some sort of impact on this in future so he leaves us all alone but don’t want to test this if not?

Thanks

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content