Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Xyz123
      Participant

Hi

I’m out of the abusive situation I have cut most cords and now I’m left to rebuild a life. I’ve isolated myself I couldn’t help it and now I don’t know how to reconnect with people how to reintegrate myself to society. I want to make new connections as I need the freshness of people who don’t know me this gives me a break from my memories and past

Efcharisto
      Participant

It is awful, I know. And I am glad that forums like this exist so thar we can express these things. You’re not alone in this even though it can seem that way. As for establishing good relationships with PTSD, I’m still learning and struggling with it, especially since I developed most of my local friendships with people who are also friends with or who have contact with my abusive family. That’s what abusive people want: to isolate you and make you more dependent on them. That gives them power. But you’re out of it now. And as far as I understand it, PTSD requires basic retraining of your memory. One of the good ways is distraction. Getting out. Even talking to people in a coffee shop about day-to-day things is a way of leaving the rubbish behind and pushing back. And working environments are good, like finding a project to do with someone where you’re actually working on something new. Learning something new like an evening class or something. It really helps. You’ve got to form new memories of new, kind people, and have fresh experiences to overwrite the trauma that’s still lingering. Hard to do, I know.

KIP.
      Participant

Hi, in the early stages there wasn’t much I could do apart from limit myself to three things a day. Take out rubbish, open letters and shopping. My head was so filled with trauma. Time is the greatest thing and not putting pressure on yourself. Baby steps. Have a look at support groups for mental health. I recently started a very basic psychology class and it’s helping socially and mentally. It’s frustrating when we don’t heal as quickly as we would like. Think of a broken leg. You can’t force it to heal. Lots of rest, exercise, good diet and getting out. All basic foundations for recovery. Check out your local library. Mine has a mindfulness class. Any hobbies you want to go back to? Buy yourself a plant or fish. Something that you can take care of. Lots of pillows and cushions. Hugging is good for making you feel connected. A file and polish, a massage, hair blow dry. Little things for human contact. Most important is tender care of yourself by yourself. Be your own best friend. Encourage yourself. Write down three positive things each day. And keep posting and sharing x

Xyz123
      Participant

Aw KIP and efcharisto , thank you so so much for your kind help.

I’m recognising that this recovery is not like other break ups you think you’re through the worst then you can become triggered- as happened yesterday.

My foundations are rocky and unstable but I’m building but I guess in this fragile state you can be easily destabilised and it’s like you say KIP it’s about growing new pathways in your mind.

Thank you both so much x*x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content