Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      DancingWithMyself
      Participant

Hi, I’m new here, and looking for advice.

My ex left me a while ago, so I am now safe, but before that he was psychologically and physically abusive for several years (luckily nothing extreme and I was never injured, but has still greatly impacted me).

I am a student, and have been really struggling with my course because of what I’ve been through, so thinking I should pause my studies at the end of this semester (January) and continue next year instead. I need to talk to my family about it, as I will need their support, and help finding a job for the year, but I don’t know how. My circumstances are different to most students, so I cannot move back home like others could.

Does anyone have any advice for how to tell my parents about what I’ve been through and how I’m struggling? We have a slightly difficult relationship, and no one in my family talks about their feelings. I’ve been putting off talking to them, and I’m really worried about how they might react, which isn’t helping. At the moment I’ve been staying with them over Christmas, but due to leave in the next week or so as my course resumes, so I am running out of time.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Eggshells
      Participant

If your struggling to say the words, could you write them down.

I have started similar conversations by saying ” I don’t know how to say this so I’m just going to come out with it.”

It’s kind of hard to help with this because all family dynamics are so different but hopefully, the more people who reply, the more likely you are to be to find something that might work for you.

gettingtired
      Participant

Hi I haven’t told my family yet either and it’s something I really struggle with. I agree that it might be easier for you to write it down in a kind of letter to them if you’re struggling with opening up to them in conversation? x

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content