Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Owlette
      Participant

I have been separated from my husband for near (detail removed by Moderator) but he still stays here he is verbally abusive drinks most days comes home banging doors shouting having the kids woken up he is always accusing me of seeing other people even though I never go out he is always calling me names and forever saying I’m stupid I have asked him to leave he has applied for a house but our local council say that can take up to 8 year I don’t think I can take much more of it never mind 8 years I don’t want to give up my house as I waited (detail removed by Moderator) year for this the tenancy agreement is in my name but he has been to a lawyer and he says he has every right to be here does anyone have any advice on anything I can do

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hello Owlette,

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for posting. I hope you find the support you are looking for here. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through because of your husband’s behaviour.

These organisations might be of use to you:

Rights of Women
      http://rightsofwomen.org.uk
      Various telephone advice lines detailed on their website

Shelter
      https://england.shelter.org.uk/
      0808 800 4444

National Centre for Domestic Violence

Welcome to National Centre for Domestic Violence

0800 970 2070

Local support groups can also offer ongoing emotional and practical support. To find your local group, click here.

The 24hr National Domestic Violence Helpline (0808 2000 247) is also available, the Helpline Workers can discuss options based on your circumstances. It is a busy service but there is a voicemail to request a call back at a safe and convenient time.

I hope this information is helpful. Once again, welcome to the Forum. Keep posting to us when you can.

Best wishes,

Lisa

KIP.
      Participant

Do not believe a word he says. They are liars. Check out some of the organisations above. Keep a journal of all his abusive behaviour and any evidence you can. Witnesses, texts, emails etc. I would also advise you visit your GP and tell her his behaviour is badly affecting your mental health. Making you sick with anxiety and that you’re scared of him. Doctors evidence is very powerful and you may be able to have him removed from the property. If the tenancy is solely in your name, in my opinion he has no right to be there. It may be that you change the locks and call the police if he returns. You do not have to live like this. I lived with my husband for a short time after I told him I wanted a divorce and his abuse quickly escalated as he was losing control. Eventually he assaulted me and was arrested and bailed. Please don’t let it get to this stage. They are dangerous when we try to end the relationship. He is going nowhere. Even if he was offered a palace. He’s staying where he can do maximum damage to you. Be very careful.

Owlette
        Participant

Thank you all for your advice yes I am keeping texts and stuff I’m also trying to record him too I will get in touch with these numbers thank you

IrisAtwood
      Participant

A previous ex partner of mine refused to leave our home. He was physically abusive and the last time he beat me I went to the police. They arrested him and he was bailed away from our home. He was never allowed back.

fizzylem
      Participant

I really wished I’d involved the police now; to speak with him to tell him to stay away, would have been the evidence I needed now. Can you check yours and his rights with the organisation you have the tenancy with? In a phone call? Although it sounds to me if youre the sole person on it then you have the right to stay and to ask him to leave.

Then if you want him out and he won’t go you can involve the police.

He doesnt have the right to stay and be abusive and you dont have to put up with it, also sounds to me like he’s trying to make his problem your problem; and I echoe the above, reckon he’s lying.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content