Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Tonight I came out to my car & saw a (removed by moderator). At first sight a feeling of sheer unadulterated horror struck me. I went cold and had a huge lump in my throat, i had difficulty breathing. (Removed by moderator). My legs turned to jelly & I could barely walk. As I got closer to the car I could see it was (removed by moderator). I was so relieved. I felt this was because my ex (removed by moderator) a few times in the past. My memory was triggered. I am hoping in time these incidents will lose their horrific impact. I am now able to think about a photograph & see his name written down with less of intensity as in the past. X*X

Serenity
      Participant

We will be triggered by certain things.

I’m getting to the point where I think I might still be triggered sometimes in years down the line. Maybe i need to accept this. Then, it might go more quickly.

My counsellor told me to give my anxiety a name. Like Fred, or Arthur, or whatever you want. Then, when it reappears, you can acknowledge it, say hello, and tell it you are going to say goodbye to it.

It sounds crazy, a bit barmy, but it helps. X

I have heard that before, giving it a name. That seems to be an effective way of isolating the horrible reaction, so that it doesn’t becoming bigger or more important that it really is. I like KIPs suggestion of the elastic band around the wrist too. XXXXX

chocolatefudgecake
      Participant

I had a very similiar thing happen to me the other night, i saw a van parked outside my property at the time of me coming home i didnt see anyone in it but the headlights and brake lights were on, so whem i went in amd had a look outta my window i saw the driver txting on his fone.

Alarms bells rang in my head i was terrifed i called 101 and reported it as i though it was in connection to my ex as it was (detail removed by moderator) on that day since the attack happended, turns out as soon as they sent a unmarked car out the van moved. The officer on duty called me and explained i did the right thing but they didnt think it was a connection, as he would of acted by now.

Our minds have funny ways of dealing with things and it does play tricks on us.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content