Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Getusout
      Participant

I was told by victim support  that my case was discussed at MARAC.

I’ve goggled it and know what it is (Multi Agency Risk Assessment Conference) but I don’t know what that means in terms of whether they are super concerned about me /my daughter.. Or whether it’s just standard procedure.

I, like everyone, am worried someone might take my daughter away from me and /or believe my abuser’s lies and insist she lives with him (to continue to be subjected to his emotional abuse)

(hi everyone x)

fizzylem
      Participant

Hi GUO, no a professional has referred you because they have concerns about the domestic abuse, they need to discuss the risk factors and decide if anything needs to be done to protect you and / or your child. It’s not standard procedure, a referral is only made if there are concerns. If you are considered at risk you will get some support and help to make a safety plan.

The only time a child is seperated from the mother is if they believe the child is at risk when in your care, so examples may be if mum is taking drugs or is struggling with drink or if there is severe neglect, or if they think you will go back to the abuse or bring another abusive man into the home – are failing to protect the health and welfare of the child. It’s rare, no one wants to seperate mother and child, it’s a last resort, this sort of thing doesn’t happen over night it’s a process. Usually grand parents step in and take on the primary carer role if they are willing and able. Only if it is found that the child is suffering and at risk, that there is no family to take care of her for a while would she be placed into care.

I would ring victim support again and ask them if they can give you any info on why exactly you’ve been referred and by who – might help you to piece it together.

If you have reported the domestic abuse to a professional or an organisation like VS then chances are this is to protect you both hey. Hope it goes well for you; if you are making sound decisons for your daughter then it will be ok; perhaps it’s more you need a bit of help to stay safe? x

maddog
      Participant

Fizzylem explains MARAC well. Please don’t worry about it. It’s a good thing in that they are taking your situation very seriously. It absolutely doesn’t mean that SS are going to steal your children. A MARAC means that all the agencies are on the same page. As I understand, we don’t get to know about the meetings, just that we’ve been referred. Hopefully it means that you will be getting all the support you and your family need in place to help you move forward safely.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content