Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Rafaello15
      Participant

Hi Lovely people,
      Have been referred to the MARAC Team a week ago, finally; have been very hopeful after a long wait for any response from any of these DV organisations. But don’t know what to expect or how long is the wait…
      Would love to hear anyones experience with this team please.

Strongenough
      Participant

Hi Rafaello,

My personal experience was really good with MARAC. I was assigned an advocate who helped me with my personal safety plan and the advocate attended the MARAC conference on my behalf, then fed back to me after the meeting.

The purpose of the meeting is for all agencies to consider your situation and see what agencies can help. This may be social work, police, housing or Women’s Aid. Normally the advocate from MARAC will be a short term support but can sign post and refer you to other agancies for longer term support.

This is based on my experience, hope it helps ❤🌈

Rafaello15
        Participant

Hi Strongenough,

Thanks for sharing your experience. That’s really great to hear, and it surely makes me a bit hopeful, as I have been very disappointed with other services.

Just wanted to ask, how long did it take for them to get back to you and for the meeting to happen?
        I am waiting to hear from them, just been referred a week ago & haven’t been assigned any IDVA/Advocate yet either.
        I am getting a bit anxious after trying for several months to get support, its like banging my head against a wall. But hopeful about this.

Best wishes 🙂

Strongenough
      Participant

In my area the MARAC only meets every few weeks. At time of my referal I had just missed the deadline for the next one so had to wait about 3/4weeks. The advocate did get in touch and we had a few calls before the scheduled meeting. She was fantastic and really made sure she gained my views.

I understand your frustrations, the experience I speak of was my second time. I had a previous experience which I felt I didn’t really understand what was happening. It was also during a lockdown so services were operating differently. This time I was referred to WA and got support within a few weeks, this wasn’t offered to me the first time due to waiting lists.

Hopefully you get on well, it’s like everything else unfortunately, dependant on case load, waiting lists and resources. But my advice is keep going with it and eventually things will work out. X

Rafaello15
      Participant

Thanks Strongenough, for replying and giving further info on this.

Hoping for the best, and will keep going, but sometimes feels like a dead end. Thanks

Best wishes.

Watersprite
      Participant

Hey Rafaello – yes keep going hope and help are out there but sometimes there are delays obstacles or poor practice. We’ve been to MARAC twice – it is just a professionals meeting to discuss high risk cases and plan what support is needed to manage the risk. They happen once or twice a month. The lead worker – IDVA or social worker or police should really let you know of the meeting outcome. I think the best thing that came out of the second one was an IDVA who has supported us with safety plans reporting to police and helping us manage the risk. The first one just informed professionals didn’t really change anything for us. Now out. Safe. Healing. Rebuilding. Keep going – there is hope x Do you have a worker you could contact to ask what’s going on ?

Rafaello15
      Participant

Hi Watersprite,
      thanks for the input on Marac, I didn’t get a case worker until now which I was promised, and had no way of contacting back although I tried to. Later I contacted our local domestic abuse / refuge team for the 3rd time, finally they got back to me and then got told she also now got contacted by Marac & they have just heard my case. Now I have IDVA worker supporting me and things are looking hopeful, Thank god, So grateful for that. After almost half a year of disappointment and almost giving up hope, feeling a bit hopeful.
      Thank you all, best wishes.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content