Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Gerbil
      Participant

Hi
      As I can feel my husband’s tension really escalating..does anyone know how you can put a marker on your house with the police?
      Take care everyone x

Marmalade
      Participant

My understanding is you can’t just get a marker.
      You have to report a crime to the police, they investigate, they do a DASH questionnaire and if they find you are at high risk then they put a marker on your address and phone number. This means that if you dial 999 then you are prioritised for a response. But there are degrees of prioritisation still.
      Other ladies may have a different experience, but that is the procedure in my local force. Also this is for post separation marker. If you are still in the relationship I am not sure if it is the same.

Shura
      Participant

HI, im not sure if its a marker but after speaking to police i had the right to ring my mobile provider to put my phone number as high alert, meaning if i ever call police again my phone number will be at the top of the que for them to respond.

Footballfan1
      Participant

Hi,

In my area they are called a GAZ warning.

Like Marmalade said, a DASH risk assessment is carried out when you report an incident to the police.
      They then apply for a GAZ warning if you are at risk.

The police can take details of any historical incidents , whether they have been logged or not before.

Watersprite
      Participant

Hi in order to get a marker the police have to decide to do it based on risk assessment. A marker can be placed whether you live together or are separated and when you live apart they can put in other safety things like cameras and kickboxes etc in your safe house. Be mindful that you will have to tell police for this and there is always a chance they will take matters out of your hands. The most important thing here is your safety. Have you got a safety plan? Have you got support? I had to get police help and social services were also involved in getting us free. Make sure you always have your phone on you and charged. Do not be afraid to call 999 if you are unsafe.x

terribleheadspace
      Participant

Hiya, you may be able to get a marker through a domestic abuse outreach worker also (you should be able to find one quickly on here through the directory). As mine did a risk assessment with me and offered this.
      But please do this urgently if you feel you could be in danger, trust your gut and get support as soon as possible.

Also information on police website:

If you’re in danger, call 999 and try to speak to the operator if you can, even by whispering. You may also be asked to cough or tap the keys on your phone to answer questions.

Call 999 from a mobile
      If you don’t speak or answer questions, press 55 when prompted and your call will be transferred to the police.

Pressing 55 only works on mobiles and doesn’t allow the police to track your location.

If you don’t press 55 your call will be ended.

Call 999 from a landline
      If you don’t speak or answer questions and the operator can only hear background noise, they’ll transfer your call to the police.

If you replace the handset, the landline may remain connected for 45 seconds in case you pick it up again.

Calling 999 from a landline automatically gives the police information about your location.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content