Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      starchild
      Participant

Hi all my first post
      What is the point of Mediation I ask ?
      Nearly (detail removed by moderator) yrs after the first Mediation session and (detail removed by moderator) yrs into a divorce process, I am no nearer reaching the end. My abuser now uses the legal process to continue the control of me and my situation.
      I have learnt that nothing is worth the paper it is written on. I cannot afford to take to court, nor can I afford to just walk away. My ex can afford to engage a solicitor to just keep changing and FMO every week, but I cant.

danicali
      Blocked

Hi. Abusers love mediation because it allows them to 1) delay ancillary relief proceedings and 2) forces you to be in a small room with them for many sessions where there is no real progression and no intent by him to do anything helpful; and 3) appear to be the party who is “trying” to be reasonable

My ex used mediation, and mediators, for years, several of them, and he manipulated many of them as well. They are often not trained in domestic abuse and so easily taken in by a well seasoned abuser. You will appear the party who is being “difficult”. Some of them will not even try to hide the fact they side with your ex as they push you to agree to what he’s demanding…

Why mediation? (detail removed by moderator) it is designed with the “hope” that you will, together, resolve your issues and no need for court. I personally think it’s a sham.

Importantly, mediation is NOT appropriate where there is any form of domestic violence. Trouble is, to convince a court or anyone else that mediation is not appropriate in your case, it’s not easy… even your own solicitor might see you as difficult whilst your ex is “eager and happy” to go to mediation, and you will still be expected to go to mediation even if you allege abuse by your ex.

(detail removed by moderator).

Just try your best to go with it, cos you don’t have much choice to do anything else… (detail removed by moderator)… sorry x

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content