Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

My ex-partner is claiming I am mentally unstable (detail removed by moderator).

I have sought so much support from my GP throughout the relationship, and when I was in a previous abusive relationship that I have been assessed and I know I have nothing more than anxiety.

It’s still getting into my head though and I am second guessing myself. I need some support or to talk to someone who deals with this type of abuse, but i’m loathed to speak to my GP for example, as I don’t want it logged on my file and pulled out in court by him as ‘evidence’.

Anyone know who I can talk to?

Iwantmeback
      Participant

When I was with my ex I was convinced I was going crazy, was so forgetful. So much so that i approached my doctor to be referred for tests. Doesn’t matter what your partner writes down, without a clinical evaluation he won’t get custody of your children unless it’s for their own protection. Courts are only interested in the facts not someones opinion, and someone whose opinion isn’t even professional based at that. You’ve been to your doctor I take it they know of your situation? If not now is the time to open up, get it logged that your partner is abusive, threatening to get your children taken from you. As a mother this is oor biggest fear, and as such these ba…rds will use that to keep us in line, to keep us with them. Have you contacted wa yet? The sooner his behaviour is noted by professionals the more you can slightly rest they and you are on the road to giving your children more protection. Do everything you can to protect them without putting yourself directly in harm’s way. Start keeping a journal, log anything and everything that you think is relevant dates/times/who was/there alone/ in company etc.
      These men are masters at manipulation, turning the tales so you don’t know which way is up.
      You say you’ve had assessment before so logically you know it’s not you. But reason and logic are the last things we listen to when living with abuse. Be strong, reach out. The government are telling us the professionals are still there, please reach out. It will get better once you start taking back control. Don’t be afraid to call the police, they know da is escalating now.
      Stay strong, stay safe
      IWMB

maddog
      Participant

Abusers love this tactic. Please don’t second guess yourself. Gaslighting is maddening, really it is. Our mental health is affected by abuse. It is worth speaking to your GP about the abuse. I didn’t realise just how much better off we all are without my ex poisoning our lives. He really went for me on the mental health ticket. (detail removed by moderator). These people are usually projecting their own ill health onto someone else. It’s not you, it’s him.

fizzylem
      Participant

Most of them do this SC, the court will only be interested in what it says on your medical record, if at all, they may not even investigate it. He is not trained to make a diagnosis!

I would go and see the GP and tell him/her what he is trying to do, to get some back up that you are fit to mother, maybe even request a letter in support? So you are ready just in case the court does want to investigate further. Wouldn’t it be great if they start to discuss this and hey presto, you present a letter from your GP – would squash it straight away x

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Always prepare for the worst. Be 16 steps ahead of them. Don’t let the I don’t think he’d do that enter your thought process. Assume the worse then you’re prepared for it.
      IWMB

fizzylem
      Participant

Ignore what he is saying, you need to read it yes, so you can pull some counter evidence out if needed, but focus more on your case, showing what your plan is, how this will benefit the children, and the alienation / emotional abuse – (detail removed by moderator)! Show them how they are doing this with docs where you have recorded what they have said and when – this is where the NSPCC evidence comes in too. If you’ve not called them yet I strongly urge you to do this straight away, if they say there is alienation here this will be golden for your case.

You can argue that of course you are anxious, when he is trying to cut you out of their lives, you are concerned for their mental health as you can see how this effecting them, you have some examples of this don’t you.

(detail removed by moderator)

Once you get a new place you can focus on getting them settled and getting some part time work maybe? Would maybe help if you can keep them in the same school wont it if this if possible x

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content