Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Surfergirl
      Participant

Getting my head round a few things before I take that step and finally leave, I’m married and we have a joint mortgage, in an ideal situation I want to stay in the house and I have worked out how I can afford it along with my young children (even without his financial support – going through every scenario). Does he have a right to the property aswell or not? He’s been emotionally abusive along with coercive behaviour.

sweet4
      Participant

If both names are on the mortgage, then the answer is yes, im dealing with the same problem, we both own the property, and of course he pays all the bills, so i cant get a Non Molestation order, as hes the only one that works, then he will stop paying, so i have to live in my bedroom away from him.

Meow123
      Participant

Unfortunately yes, it’s his too. Im currently on an airbed in our (detail removed by Moderator) room on the floor as im stuck in my jointly owned marital home too, can’t force him to leave

tiredofitall
      Participant

I was in the same situation, married and both names on mortgage. I was paying all the bills but he still had a legal right. Came and went as he pleaded I offered to buy him out, he refused. So I insisted that the house was sold and equity split 50/50. He didn’t want to at first but I told him that the divorce would force a decision from the court if we couldn’t decide ourselves. He wasn’t going to hold me hostage any longer.
      He gave in and knew he was getting a good deal considering we ended up with tgd same money but I’d paid more in, did all the eork to get it sold and paid for the divorce. Though he told me constantly how selfish I was, it was 100% worth it.
      Stay strong x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content