Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Dragonfly
      Participant

It’s been more than (detail removed by Moderator) now, having spent many years in two abusive relationships. I’m nearly divorced. I’ve had to pay a lot of money to the ‘husband’. Actually he doesn’t deserve that title, a husband is someone that cares and loves his wife. I’m just sitting here looking at what I’ve got, what I’ve achieved. Actually I am very rich, not financially rich, I’m rich because I have my beautiful son, I have my home, I have my family and friends.

My problem atm is my son is a teenager. He’s pushing boundaries. He’s not terrible but he’s certainly challenging. We’ve talked and agreed a few things. I’m always writing and I was looking at my diary today. I’ve discovered myself and my boy have actually achieved quite a lot although he’s now started skipping classes. I have solutions for this but it takes time for him to realise consequences are real. Once he does then we’re all good again. I think back to the hassle I caused my parents and think OMG! Now it’s my turn to deal with the teenager. I’m doing it on my own. I think we’re doing ok but he stresses me out so much at times.

I think I just need a vent just now. I find it quite difficult to parent on my own sometimes. My son and I are very alike so solving our disagreements and problems can be challenging. I think I’ve given him too much leeway of late (compensating for the dad whose ditched him). I think we’re getting there. So one step at a time. One day we’ll meet in the middle. I’m just struggling a bit.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Dragonfly,

Teenagers can be very challenging and it is a really confusing time for them, with all the hormonal and physical changes. Its okay that you are struggling a bit, a lot of parents experience this and its important to have a vent sometimes!

Have you spoken to Family lives? They can offer information and support on any aspect of parenting. They also have forums and there is a section on teenagers. Their helpline number is 0808 800 2222 and it is open 9am – 9pm, Monday to Friday and 10am – 3pm Saturday and Sunday.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Lisa

Dragonfly
      Participant

Thank you x

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content