Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      teatime
      Participant

I just wanted to say; I have been peeking on Mumsnet and I notice there are a lot of posts about abuse. I left the site because the way this handled by posters is really bad very often. I also found the forums quite aggressive and competitive. I have got trolled and flamed on there, could be my own fault, but there are some quite aggressive posters. Also I got flamed on FB for talking about abuse by a friend of mine who ended up calling me the worst name ever, very weird … just be careful on social media is all I am saying.
      I am an abuse survivor and have to be careful.

Suntree
      Participant

Social media can be a place for keyboard warriors, trolls and victim blaming. It can be a great source of help and support too. It is just finding out which is which that is a tricky part, which I think people should be very careful about what they share an online and to whom.

iwillbeok
      Participant

I was very lucky that when I posted to Mumsnet – i didnt know about this amazing site then. I was lucky that i had very supportive responses and the right advice. I didnt feel alone as i was going throygh a very traumatic period.

I do know what you mean though as i have gone on there occasionally to direct women in abusive sutuations to womens aid. As they, and you ladies on here (the only ones who can truly understand) have been the true heroes who gave helped me get to where i am now.

Some of the comments are awful. I have come across many, though, who will stand up for the survivor posting against the trolls – maybe its ladies from here.

I am grateful for the support i had at the time but wonder if it had been a different week…

Mumsnet has a disclaimer that no-one on there has had their credentials checked – perhaps they should have a large banner with numbers for WA and NCDV?

X

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content