Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      lostandbroken
      Participant

Does anyone else have a problem with music? I can’t bear to listen to any kind of music, haven’t been able to since I left. Everything reminds me of him. Can’t even put my radio on in the car, music from adverts and now the xmas songs in the shops

Serenity
      Participant

I used to love music, but still can’t listen to it properly yet.

It’s too emotive, triggers me, plus Inam now hypersensitive to noise. X

Tuppance
      Participant

I used to love my music but again, like you both, I find the words upsetting. Normally I prefer just peace and quiet – my tolerance of noise is really low. Someone popped a bag of crisps near me the other day and I nearly hit the ceiling. It really upset me – made me feel silly x

Jupiter
      Participant

I live with PTSD and hyperviligence is one of the symptoms.I also hate noise or bright light so I wear earplugs in bed and ear defenders at home if I want some peace.It really helps calm me and my nervous system and gives me security as I know they are there if I want them.I hope this helps a little.
      Jupiter

Jupiter
      Participant

Sorry–typing error—mean hypervigilence!!jupiter

lostandbroken
      Participant

I am over sensitive to loud noises, everything frightens me. X

Jupiter
      Participant

Hi Lost and Broken

I really know what this is like and it feels like a nightmare of noise but you can sort of train your body to calm itself by using the above every day and knowing this provides a place of quiet. I think part of the sensitivity is the feeling that everything is out of control but you find you can take back control by cutting down unwanted noise.
      My earplugs etc are like gold to me and make me feel better as they are available light and portable anywhere.
      Jupiter x

phantasmagorical
      Participant

I can relate to this. In the weeks following the discard I couldn’t listen to a thing. Then on the news I heard that Leonard Cohen died, and there was this song that I associate with the early days of our relationship and I was in bits.

For a long time now I’ve been craving distraction and before it all broke, I was listening to a tv show with the sound turned down low to help me sleep because I didn’t want to know what was going on in my head. There’s only been one album I’ve been able to listen to; I like to listen to it when I want to block everything else out.

Loud or unexpected noises have been bothering me for a very long time as well. I keep having to turn the tv down because it always seems too loud. If I’m out for too long the noise and chatter makes me feel disoriented and irritable. My mum was clearing out the kitchen cupboards yesterday and all the banging and clatter made me so physically tense that I had to leave the room.

I do recommend those earplugs, I quite like the foamy ones that expand in your ears.

lostandbroken
      Participant

I have to sleep with my tv on but with the volume turned right now. That’s a great comfort for me.

Any tune that is played be it on the tv, in the car, adverts, in shops they all trigger me into an emotional state and I cry. I’m (detail removed by moderator) into the discard stage, I hope it doesn’t take much longer to over come this is ruling my life x

Ayanna
      Participant

There is lots of music that is not related to the abuser. It has been my music all my life. It is a great distraction when I feel sad.

EeyoreNoMore
      Participant

I have a couple of albums I listen to when I need a bit of female empowerment.

There’s nothing like a bit of Christina Aguileira and Beyoncé when you need a bit of Girl Power!

WalkerInTheRain
      Participant

There are some things I no longer listen to but there is a host of things that I’ve reconnected with now there isn’t someone giving a running commentary on my ‘freak music’.

Nova
      Participant

I love music!…but I’m having the same switch off from it…not just reminders/triggers..he used to constantly complain about my enthusiasm for very cool dj’s …obviously threatened his ‘narc’ personality disorder.
      Can’t bear other people’s happiness & that’s it’s not ALL about him! (Never was!)
      So in defiance I put music on full blast! My empowering feeling is slowly returning, very very slowly, but music helps me reconnect with me & my loves, what make me tick!
      They can’t have every single last part of us can they!! The music must play on ladies! (& yea I do have screaming tinnitus earplugs insomnia & night shades! ; )
      Hugs xC

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content