Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      CutieSunshine
      Participant

my doctor has given me anti depressants to take for a month and has then told me to go back to review me. I’ve had them for a week and have not taken them. I just really wanted to know if anyone else has taken them and do that actually help you move on with your life after getting away from all the abuse . My main problem is the crying , it just starts for no reason any time of day . I can’t sleep and I don’t want to eat sometimes and I wake up dry reaching some mornings.

Falling Skys
      Participant

Hi CS

I haven’t had anti depressants more because medication makes me ill.

But I know that doctors don’t prescribe them lightly and it sounds like it could help you through this tough time. Also a lot of ladies on this site have used them and they have been beneficial.

Good luck and I’m sure some ladies with personal experience will soon post.

FS xx

CutieSunshine
      Participant

thank you for your reply. I am going to ring the helpline tomorrow and see what support I can get locally too.

Falling Skys
      Participant

Well done you xx keep us posted xx

SaharaD
      Participant

Hi CS I have taken antidepressants on and off for years now.

There are different types so they all don’t affect everyone the same way.

Did they work before? If they are a different type you won’t know until you try them.

I believe that medication should be given at the same time as therapy.

Abuse affects everyone differently. I had a diagnosed mental illness before being abused. I didn’t sleep well the first few months after the final abuse and over 2 years later I still can’t sleep without sleeping tablets.

Eating is tricky. I struggle to plan meals and plan what to buy in the supermarket but I think that is more to do with the instability of my home life.

At the end of the day the choice is yours. If you don’t want to take medication try to find other ways of coping with your symptoms. There is a lot of information on the internet on coping with psychological problems and self-help

I use a variety of sources to help my mental health

CutieSunshine
      Participant

I am just scared to take them. I worry if they will make me feel worse. I tried to ring the helping this morning but no one answered and I didn’t feel comfortable leaving a message. I am sorry to hear that you have also suffered as a consequence of domestic abuse xx

CutieSunshine
      Participant

* I tried to ring the woman’s aid helpline number is what I meant

tobehappy
      Participant

Hi CS.

I have taken anti-depressants in the past. I found the medication took the edge of everything. It just gave a bit of support to let my mind and body process things and gain a little strength. Once you feel a bit stronger you are then in a better place to be able to other things to help yourself. You do need to take them for some time (weeks at least, if not months) to give them time to work.

Whilst your response to your situation is normal there is nothing wrong with having a bit of help to process things. I would also definitely recommend the freedom program. Not only is it about the information you learn but it is the people that you meet. People who understand what you have been through, a place where you feel “normal”. Please don’t take offence at the use of the word normal but I felt it was great to just talk about your experiences to people who get it!

Take care whatever you decide. x

CutieSunshine
      Participant

Thank you for your reply. That has made me feel a bit more positive .

SaharaD
      Participant

If you are scared of feeling worse, try booking a weekly review of how you aware getting on with the tablets this is what I did with my gp when I started a new medication so I could be closely monitored.

I think if I didn’t take the antidepressants, I simply wouldn’t be able to get out of bed and hold on to the tiny bit of hope I have. I also probably wouldn’t be able to make my internal dialogue comforting, self soothing and motivating. It would just be negative rumination over my fears and self sabotage.

I suffered but I survived. I’m a survivor.

CutieSunshine
      Participant

That’s a good suggestion I never thought of asking the doctor to review me weekly. thanks for the advice

Marthamoo
      Participant

Hi I took anti depressants for about 6 months and they did do their job. I think my problem was more anxiety than depression but, like you, I couldn’t stop crying and would burst into tears at any given moment. The anti depressants did stop this and did give me a much more positive outlook on life. The only downside for me was that they left me a bit emotionally ‘numb’. They gave me clarity but my range of emotions seems dulled somehow.

I am not a big tablet taker. I am the sort of person who will suffer a headache rather that take a tablet. So taking the anti depressants was a big deal for me. There are more people on these type of tablets that you would ever realise. If you get prescribed the right one for you, they wont change you as a person or change how you think. They will just lift the fog a little and calm your mind. It enabled me to make the decisions I needed to make without being crippled by my emotions xx

CutieSunshine
      Participant

Thank you ladies for all the replies . It has really helped me. I feel much better today than I did yesterday But still can’t sleep as that’s when I think about everything .

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content