Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

So my ex didn’t like me tying my hair up. So much so that it had to be kept cut short so that I couldn’t. My hair is now, many years into freedom, long. I can do plaits, a bun, pony tail or down if I feel like it. Its a wierd sensation and I’m still getting used to having really long hair.

Are there any odd but really nice successes that you have had from freedom?

orangefrog
      Participant

I wore a pair of trainers at the weekend that I’ve had for years, but wasn’t allowed to wear. I got so many compliments about them. I didn’t explain to anyone why I hadn’t worn them til now.

It seems strange the little things that give you strength. That help you realise you are free. I bet your hair looks amazing! Thank you for posting. I hope others add to this post and share their wins.

Bettertimesahead
      Participant

Recently had my hair cut much shorter than normal, he would have hated it. And had lot of compliments too

Anonymous
      Inactive

Excellent to hear your little successes. It took me so long to get up the nerve to grow my hair long again. Its so different.

liftingthefog
      Participant

I’m four months on my own and only a few days ago I realised (I live now on the own with my dogs) that I had stopped speaking. Small things like today I had finished drinking a cup of tea in the garden and turned to my dogs and said ‘well I had better cut that grass now before the rain comes’. The change had been so insidious over the years that I had not realised until a few days ago that I had stopped expressing everyday observations or expressing my transient thoughts.
      I suppose that it is just learning to relive life in a more normal relaxed way but there have been so many small tiny things that I have noticed in the last month or two that I had been unaware of …. I was too busy dodging the bigger bullets and had failed to notice the small alterations I was making to my personality so as not to upset him in any way.
      Enjoy your hair ladies and learning to be YOU again.
      🤗 xx

Anonymous
      Inactive

Mine was jogging suits , my ex hated me wearing them , now I’m never out of them also wasn’t allowed to use my phone after 5 pm , or listen to music , all of which I’m loving it NOW !

Shocknawe
      Participant

Nice posts! I love them

Anonymous
      Inactive

That’s such a sweet post, yeah I can dress how I like, listen to the music I want, speak my mind (instead of being humiliated and told to be quiet) I can eat what I want (no meat for me thankyou) Just generally being me instead of mould someone wanted me to be 💚🧚🏻‍♀️💙

Butterlyoffreedom
      Participant

Thank you for posting 💕.

It’s the small things we do not notice at the time but we end up comprising who we are and it is so wrong.

Nearly one year out… I can now eat when and what I want, dress how I like and my hair has started to grow back too.

Sending strength to all of you ladies.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Anonymous
      Inactive

It is the small things. Small things held us down and now small things can lift us up.🌅

Eggshells
      Participant

I got a cat. All my adult life I wanted a cat but I wasn’t allowed one or any other type of pet.

He is the centre of my world.

Wispatea
      Participant

I want to colour my hair. I was never allowed to do so… still not quite strong enough to but I will.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Have patience with yourself. It took me many years.

Genericusername
      Participant

I washed my hair on Tuesday first time since I was last abused. I must admit I did feel a lot more human. I recommend it. X

Anonymous
        Inactive

💖💖💖

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content