Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Awura 13
      Participant

I have left my ex partner, after physically,verbally and emotionally abuse I have been through from him and his brother. It been (removed by moderator) weeks since I left to a refuge. This morning got a call from police saying they not taking it any further. I am so sad and hurt, cause I know what I have been through from both of them. I want to know can he see my son even without any charges made to him. His name is on the birth certificate.thanks.

KIP.
      Participant

Hi there, I think you need legal advice at this stage. Rights for Women have a free helpline and most solicitors will offer the first half hour free. A non molestation order can prevent his contacting you and I believe you can add a child to that. If he wants to see his child then he has to go down the legal route to arrange access. I think you would have a very strong case for refusing access but be guided by women’s aid and the legal system. The more evidence you have against him the better. The police can only act upon evidence and what the law allows to prosecute however you have the right to ask them to review your case and that’s where I’d start. Charges would hold more weight but if you have sufficient evidence and witnesses etc then I’d fight to keep him away. You know any access he tries to get to your child is simply a way to get to you. The criminal law bar is set very high to prosecute but the civil court doesn’t need as much evidence so I’d get a non molestation order or equivalent through the civil courts. Use women’s aid to help you with this x stay safe in the refuse until you gather your strength and get advice. Victim Support and the NSPCC and the national domestic abuse helpline are all good sources to speak to and there’s an online chat with womens aid on here too. Keep reaching out and learning how to best use the system against him. Don’t be disheartened because the police won’t act this time. At least he is now on their radar x

Awura 13
      Participant

Thanks so much, I have a social worker and a refuge charity also helping me, but the thing is I don’t really get to talk to them much, cause I call and they always busy which i do understand. I don’t have much evidence against him, my witnesses are my son and his brother but he is not going to testify against him. I would talk to womens aid and other organisations whilst I wait to hear from my social worker and the charity. Thanks so much.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content