Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Chocolatebunnie
      Participant

I have been taking part in CBT and was not happy to be honest with the idea but felt i would give it a go, I have been in and out of therapy for over 20 years and just wanted to move forward.

Initally I didnt gel with the counsellor but thought it may take time to develope a bond.

(detail removed by Moderator) weeks in and she was trying to get me to partake in a activiity which I did not want to go, she kept tyring to persaide me, didnt seem to give in and did not take my no as a answer. Having been abused and no being a word I have trouble with I felt very triggered. I burst into tears could not speak and basically felt a panic attack.

She just didnt understand, and I am not allowed to talk about the past it is all so strange I have never got this far with CBT and do not want to continue, I do not want to speak to her ever again and am really let down having waited for a long time for this help.

I felt like i was being bullied, sounds stupid but she did not appear to respect my boundaries.

Im trying not to think about it, and do feel foolish at the same time as she possibly does think I have overreacted or that it came from nowhere I am doubting myself and my reaction, I guess this is typically from living with the abuse.

If you have had a similar experience or any advice moving forward I would be really grateful.

CB X

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Your reaction has told you this isn’t the way for you, and she doesn’t seem to be the one that understands either.

TBH CBT to me comes across as negative judgements on your thinking, so, telling you what you think is ‘wrongthink’ and drilling into you how to think properly. It’s not generally considered appropriate trauma recovery therapy, for exactly the reasons you so eloquently explained.

go with your gut. You know what happened to you, and you need to explore and process this very gently and with patience and understanding at your own pace, not forced through in a way that is so triggering.

Thats just my take on CBT. It seems to be the only easily available therapy to get. NHS adopted it, govt adopted it so that’s what’s given to women routinely in your situation, and perhaps one of the more sensible trauma-focussed therapies would be helpful to you? There is a link on here to a therapy model called ‘Blossoms’ I think. Have a look under the Support & signposting option to see if they can help you.

Well done for your halt to this, to stop and think ‘is this the therapy for me’, and to ask yourself this would indicate that perhaps it isn’t?

It’s always your call, so you do what is your way to help you.

Warmest wishes

ts

Lisa
        Main Moderator

Hi Both,

I think TS may mean Bloom, which is a website that has courses on recovering from trauma that were developed in partnership between mental health professionals and survivors. They also have a 1:1 chat for support, activities to help you process and heal, and grounding exercises. I thought I’d just put a link to the site here to make finding it easy.

Take care and keep posting,
        Lisa

Twisted Sister
        Participant

I did mean Blooms, Lisa, thank you.

I hope you are ok Chocolatebunnie and can find some comfort in knowing there are other options for you if you need them.

warmest wishes

ts

Twisted Sister
        Participant

I still managed to get it wrong! Sorry! Bloom!

Chocolatebunnie
        Participant

@Lisa thank you I will definately have a look at this x

Chocolatebunnie
        Participant

@TwistedSister absolutely gut feeling is its so very wrong for me.

It isnt even covering anything helpful let alone the fact it is training you to not think things which are there in my opinion a normal reaction to situations you have been faced with.

I will look at bloom, thanks so much for the reply.

I have now cancelled any further appointments for CBT and will be discussing next steps with their manager.

CB X

Texas
      Participant

Hi Chocolatebunnie

Have you tried EMDR? I found that really helpful.

Chocolatebunnie
        Participant

No I haven’t but have heard it can work well for PTSD x

Hereforhelp
      Participant

Hi CB, I am another who had CBT (didn’t work for me) and EMDR. EMDR helped me with past trauama/abuse. I had it many years ago for childhood trauma and then again for another trauma incident.

Good you recognise CBT isn’t for you and maybe you could have a different type of therapy?.

Keep us posted
      HFH ❤️

Chocolatebunnie
        Participant

@Hereforhelp have cancelled any further appointments.

Was told I had CPTSD and then I don’t apparently, and feel very let down.

Said I didnt want CBT but that was all they offered, its NHS and have a phone call hopefully soon with the manager to discuss next steps, but not holding out much hope.

My mental health is better at the moment as things are very good here just now, but as you know that could change very quickly if things take a turn for the worse.

Glad you managed to get some support and EDMR was helpful for you x

nbumblebee
      Participant

I dound CBT and EMDR too painful i couldnt do it. My counsellor has stopped and we juat talk till im ready to try again.
      Its not for everyone and your counsellor should recognise that.
      You shouldnt feel bad for that. X

Chocolatebunnie
        Participant

@nbumblebee glad im not on my own with this one and yeah CBT is too painful, it was a horrible experience and the upset caused a panic attack which I dont think the counsellor recognised as being one, literally shut down couldnt think or speak and then burst into tears. She still tried to push me to do the activity I didnt want to do, I get that this might be to make a break through the anxiety i have but honestly still in shock at how she handled it.

Sound like your counsellor is much more educated, glad they work at your pace, just how it should be x

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content