Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      fizzylem
      Participant

Whenever I go on Netflix I don’t know what to watch, never heard of most of the shows or films so haven’t got a clue, some of the top 10 have been good, but I find that most things I put on I’ve lost concentration under 10 minues in, so it has to be good or I end up somewhere else, on here or floating off.

Watched The English Game the last few days; took me a few episodes to get into but that was pretty good, Julian Fellows wrote it, its the story of how the FA was born and how the game of football changed into what it is today, how life was back then 150 years ago. Wouldn’t usually watch anything to do with football, have no interest in it but this was drama, well written and a good story with historical interest.

My son’s just rec El Camino the Breaking Bad film for anyone that was a fan of the series. Might try this unless you can rec me any others more tempting?

So, what’s yours? And why? What did it do for you? x

Cecile
      Participant

I love Grace and Frankie. It’s about two old ladies who end up living together because their husbands are in a gay relationship with each other. Sounds stupid but it’s actually really funny, pro women and modern. Like a version of friends. Also gives hope to those of thinking there is no life or love after relationships end.

fizzylem
        Participant

Yes I watched this C, it’s funny, agree, love Fonda and Tomlin together they make a great double act; I love 9to5 as well x

diymum@1
      Participant

Stranger things is really good it’s set in the 1980’s so the fashion takes you back it has the feel of ET xx it’s really easy watching xx

diymum@1
      Participant

Stranger things is really good it’s set in the 1980’s so the fashion takes you back it has the feel of ET xx it’s really easy watching xx the Windsor’s is absolutely hilarious the guy who plays Prince William is soo funny 😀

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Watching “The Young Karl Marx” since yesterday, will finish the second hour of the film tonight. I can’t help but stop and read about his real life to see if it matches ☺️
      I can recommend reading the reviews of the film on Imdb.com (Internet Movie Data Base) the opinions are perhaps even more interesting and passionate than the film itself imho 😄📽

I am interested in biographies mostly. Why? I find people’s bravery and stories absolutely fascinating, it restores my faith in humanity, it inspires me to do good with my own life too.

I enjoyed watching “Official Secrets” a whistle blower working in British Intelligence. I can highly recommend this one. It’s about the decisions taken before invading Iraq.
      I love any movie starring Keira Knightley, “The Duchess” as well. She always selects roles playing powerful women.

“Ford v Ferrari” I love cars, speed and the actors. 😍😍

“The Wolf of Wall-street” With Leonardo Di Caprio 😍 crazyyyy film, excellent acting and directing. And such a laugh. Di Caprio invested several years into production. It’s his project.

“The aeronauts” Beautiful, just beautifully made. Amelia Rennes is a balloon pilot taking the pioneering meteorologist James Glaisher up in the air. Higher than ever anyone before. Makes me want to go up in a balloon as well.

“The Keeper” German football goalkeeper POW at the end of WWII in the UK. Sports and romance between a German keeper and British woman.

“The darkest Hour” Winston Churchill.

“A woman in Berlin” Russia invasion of Berlin WWII. Female reporter documents the events in her journal. Trigger warning; rape scenes at the beginning.

“Tolkien” bio of author of LOTR

“ Red Joan” A young woman’s idealism about who should get vital scientific information in WWII.

Two films about US Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, her fight for equal rights 💪🌸
      “On the basis of sex”
      “RBG”

“Mary Queen of Scots” Great costumes and acting

“Green Book” story of an Italian American who becomes the driver of classical pianist of African American origins, in the south in the 60s…

“Bombshell” Powerful news-anchor women standing up for themselves against sexual harassment from CEO Roger Ailes of Fox News. Recent film.

I watched all of the above listed films, all are based on true stories. I didn’t watch them on Netflix though. My ex cut me out of my membership 😒 so I found another source of online streaming.

Enjoy!!

fizzylem
        Participant

Oooh like sound of Marx; cheers HLJ, plenty to work through there! I enjoyed Red Joan too, also like a true story where folk overcome. You seen Hidden Figures? That’s pretty good x

HopeLifeJoy
        Participant

No I haven’t seen Hidden Figures, I love a film where the girls are kick a*s intellectuals, what a treat! Looking forward to watching it 🤗 thx so much!!

Iwantmeback
        Participant

Hi saw Hidden figures recently, absolutely loved it, especially the part where he desegregated the toilets😄😄
        Love,love, love Outlander, read all 8 books, restarted for the 3rd time. Been moving things down to my new house, apart from my books and CDs, shoes, handbags and clothes. That way if it gets broken into I won’t be as devastated. Would be distraught if I lost my books or they just got ruined instead.
        I really liked the 47 Ronin. True story, made me cry in the end.
        I’ve no Netflix or Amazon at the moment so I’m having another Outlander drought😪😪

KIP.
      Participant

Hey if you like Kiera Knightly she did a super video on domestic abuse. You can google it or find it on YouTube.

HopeLifeJoy
        Participant

Thx for sharing KIP, I watched it and wasn’t prepared for the violence, I felt I got punched in the stomach myself.
        I liked ‘this wasn’t in the script’ comment she made. No indeed. No-one signed up for violence in what should have been a loving relationship. There is no one that will step in shouting cut! when we need it. It’s the job of the survivor to tell themselves enough and with support, decide to end the relationship.

When she entered her apartment and seen the broken mirror, I would have walked straight back out, frightened and called the police. I would have been naive enough to have thought this was someone who broke into my place. I would never have imagined the man who loved me would commit such violent act.

Cecile
      Participant

I am finding it really hard to concentrate for the last couple of months and it makes it impossible to watch anything for more than 10 minutes. I hope it goes away when the dust settles and I am living on my own. I will use this this thread then to get suggestions for things to watch. Any recommended comedies anyone?

fizzylem
        Participant

Yes, I’m having to persevere myself C; perfectly understandable this is happening now to you though hey. I will have a think about comedies. Sounds like someones reconising a need for some laughter! We miss this for a while don’t we – will change x

Anonymous
        Inactive

What About Bob? cracks me up every time I see it!! Soo good! Idiocracy is a crazy movie set in the future and is funny but I watch and go OMG – it’s US now!!

HopeLifeJoy
        Participant

The good old Friends…always great, familiar, kind, funny and short episodes.

Coupling also very funny

Any stand up comedies or late night shows.

Tom & Jerry, short sweet funny 🙃

hop
      Participant

Once upon a time is so easy to watch it’s based on fairytales and it’s mostly set in the modern day. It’s just nice to watch and a bit of escapism 💖

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Here are some additional films to pass time during lock down…

“Contagion” !!! Of course how could I forget 🤦‍♀️ the most popular pandemic film right now even though it’s already a decade old.

“Dangerous method” life of Carl Gustav Jung, Freud, Sabina Spielrein. I can highly recommend it.

“Adore” Unconventional love affairs set on beautiful Australian beaches.

Love of music
      “Amadeus” wild life of Wolfang Amadeus Mozart 💕🎶🎵
      “Pavarotti” wonderful vocals and appetit for life 💕

“Blood Diamond” starring Leonardo Di Caprio. The blood journey of one conflict diamond all the way from Africa to London. Poignant soundtrack too.

“Beyond borders” actors Angelina Jolie and Clive Owen as UNHCR workers in refugees camps around the globe.

“The theory of everything” story of theoretical physicist, cosmologist Stephens Hawkins

“The hunger games” great action and adventures

fizzylem
        Participant

Just checking the netflix list; lovin’ that I’ve got now choices! Hmmmm what to go for next!? xx

HopeLifeJoy
        Participant

Enjoy your pick 😄
        I watched Hidden Figures and liked it. I never expected a launch in space required such careful calculations. Or the way back into the atmosphere. Goodness how dangerous if one calculation is wrong. I’m terrible at maths haha. I still bought a book about maths, I wanted to see it I can come up with one single equation about the antidote to abuse to keep us all safe. Here my conclusion:
        respect x Y = respect
        Respect being the diametric opposite of abuse (from the book Why does he do that) as long as there is respect in any equation there is no place and possibility for abuse. What do you think of it?

Eve1
      Participant

If you like intrigue, thriller type things we’re watching ‘Spooks’. It’s on i- player. I get hooked on these things.

Watched Red Joan yesterday. It was really great, thank you!

Eve
      x

maddog
      Participant

Plodding through Netflix, probably for the 2nd time by now. Last night I watched Spotlight again. A group of journalists are sent by their editor to investigate a cover-up of child abuse by the Catholic Church in Boston.

Sex Education is real fun.

The Ted Bunny Tapes are interesting if they’re not too triggering.

I love The Wolf of Wall Street. It’s a bit grown-up for young teenagers. It’s so funny though.

Sadtimes
      Participant

I really liked good girls and money heist
      Now watching through breaking bad as I’ve never watched much before hand.

HunkyDory
      Participant

Ohhh Amadeus is one of my favorite ever films and I haven’t seen it for years. A few weeks ago I was watching The Rise of the Nazis which I’d recorded ages ago. During an episode was one of my favorite pieces of music “Requiem in D minor”. That led to me searching for the piece on YouTube and I found a wonderful performance by Orchestre National de France, an hour long and I watched it all, which then led me to an episode of Holland’s got talent (yep) and a mind blowing performance of “o mio babbino caro”by a 9 years old girl called Amira that I watched on repeat for ages it was wonderful. Watch it, it’s beautiful 😍 https://youtu.be/qDqTBlKU4CE

I can literally spend hours going down musical rabbit holes ❤️❤️

HopeLifeJoy
        Participant

Thank you HD, I loved everything about this classical performance. The music, the beautiful location, the filming and the gorgeous wanna kiss him maestro 💘😍
        So thank you I spend a wonderful hour 🎵🎶😘

Here another musical film
        “Bohemian Rhapsody” biography of the band Queen

Lovely Amira so cute, great vocals!

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

And one more film selection…

“Battle of the sexes”
      Historical tennis match competition between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs. Sports and battle of the sexes indeed!

“Breathe” biography of Robin Cavendish, fighting polio, determined to free himself , living instead of surviving, with support from his family they’re finding innovative solutions to free other disabled polio patients. Very inspirational story!

“Harriet” Biography of American freedom fighter against slavery. Her courage and determination are absolutely commendable.

“The big short” Loooove it!! Explains the 2008 economic crash

“Lord of War” freelancer supplying/selling weapons in war zones.
      Well acted. It is absolutely disgusting that this traffic is a reality.

“Cindarella” the film not the cartoon. my favourite Disney 💕🌸

“Snowden” well it’s about Edward Snowden of course 😊 whistle blower of NSA’s secret mass surveillance & data collection.

“The pirates of Somalia” why do they do it? A journalist wanted to know.

“Catch me if you can” great entertainment, a good laugh. Based on real events. With Leonardo Di Caprio 😍

Ocean 11, 12 etc, very lovely actors, great entertainment!

Anonymous
      Inactive

The Tudors, Elizabeth, The Mentalist, Lie to Me (but I think it’s no longer on Netflix but excellent about micro expressions and how to read people) Outlander, Hell on Wheels, Peaky Blinders, Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries (LOVE her clothes!!) Heartland, Bloodline, The Borgias, Rake, Kate & Leopold, Person of Interest, The Last Samurai, The Mask of Zorro, The Ranch.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Oops, forgot Blacklist!

fizzylem
        Participant

Thanks B, I loved The Tudors, Peaky Blinders and Bloodline, will check out the others you have mentioned; just discovered Money Heist, one of your other recs. true escapism isn’t it, I find if I can ‘get into’ a series I’m gone for days! Watched the first series this week, most enjoyed, was pretty shocked to learn there are 3 more! x

Anonymous
      Inactive

It is escapism Fizz but whatever works here! Better than me entertaining myself by sitting on my roof throwing water balloons at passing cars! Wait a minute…… there’s a thought!!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ok,ok…..I won’t do water balloons *sigh* Have to put me mischief back in the box! LOL! Some people have their finger on speed dial for the little white coat people in my direction..

iliketea
      Participant

For real cr*P Canadian Workin Moms is funny if you’ve had kids.
      Anyone got any more recommendations? 🙂

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

‘Radioactive’
      The story of Marie Curie, a kickass woman discovering radium and polonium in a scientific world dominated by men.

Twiggy
      Participant

Dead to me. Is a good one it’s about a woman who’s husband was killed in a hit and run, and the person that done it becomes her friend. I dont want to go into to much detail about it cos there are so many twists but from the minute I started watching it I was hooked.

Escapee
      Participant

There is nothing intelligent about this choice but it made me laugh……Gordon, Gino and Fred’s American Road Trip, particularly episode 3. There’s no need to concentrate and Gino and Fred are so funny together.

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

“MISBEHAVI✊️OUR”
      Miss World Competition London 1970.
      Comes Women’s Liberation Movement; their aim? Overthrowing the patriarchy! Stand for freedom, stand for choice, stand for every woman 💪💋
      Based on true events

HunkyDory
      Participant

I have so many on the go! Dead to me, Ozark, manifest… all really good! Xx

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content