Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      iwillbeok
      Participant

Holy bleep!! I just ordered a new car!!

I was left with the rubbish car in my name (he ways got the nicer, newer car (hmm?!)). I knew it was going to become a thorn in my side so started looking for another to replace it. But then I don’t know the 1st thing about buying a used car and figured I was just as likely to buy a lemon that would also cost me a fortune to fix!

I was driving home from looking at one of those lemons when I was trying to find somewhere to pull up to find a new dealer of my desired car when lo & behold there was one!

I was only going to have a look & get some info but having already done my research, knowing what my part exchange should be worth & a really good deal was on the table I went for it!

It was liberating, exciting and petrifying at the same time!!! I keep flicking between wondering what he’ll think/say and not caring coz he doesn’t get any say in what I do anymore!!

Oh my! I think I may be a little bit nuts!

KIP.
      Participant

Sounds great. Yes, liberating. Making your own decisions. No one to answer to. None of his business X enjoy enjoy enjoy

iwillbeok
      Participant

Thanks Kip! I’m trying to – urgh!! You know I can almost feel like a track in my brain that the “wheel” keeps wanting to slip into and it’s almost like a physical pull to reef it out and just be excited for me! Woah – that was a big insight. That’s why I’ve been so tired! I am physically trying to change the tracks in my brain!

Sure plenty of other people have worked this out before me but that just sits so well.

I keep chanting in my head “Life’s too short. Life’s too short. Go girl!”

Peaceful Pig
      Participant

Hi iwillbeok, I did this a little while back too! Isn’t it great? I felt just the same and kept mentally justifying my decisions. But it was a good decision, I got a great deal and i love it. Plus it’s all mine and has no association or memories of him. Yay!! I think just trying to rethink our brains into new tracks doesn’t work, I’m finding that actions have a much bigger effect. You’ve convinced your mind that you can make good decisions and you deserve nice things 😀 xx

White Rose
      Participant

Exciting! Enjoy getting used to parking it, getting the bite point on the clutch right (took me ages with my last change and ive been driving for well over half my life) and sorting out all those knobs and switches….You won’t have him making snide remarks about any of it.
      Have a great time with your car! I hope you like the colour 😉. Ok I admit I’m a woman – I won’t tolerate some car colours…. unless someone wants to buy me one?

Serenity
      Participant

How wonderful! I love your spontaneity!

One way my ex controlled me ( amongst 1000 other ways) was to be in charge of choosing and buying the cars. Like you, I had the dud car, whilst he had the better one.

I can’t afford a new car yet, but ai know exactly what car I am getting next. I can visualise it. It won’t be expensive, but it will be my choice, a nippy little number.

iwillbeok
      Participant

I keep waiting for the “uh oh what have I done?” moment but it isn’t there. I really don’t care what he thinks- though part of me would like to be a fly on the wall when the kids tell him. I think he seriously underestimated me!

iwillbeok
      Participant

Loving my little car!! It’s mine all mine! No memories of criticising (or praising even ?what was that about?!) my driving! Have a little trip away planned soon – can’t wait! 😊

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

What a lovely thread, there is something great about your own car because it spells independence! 🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content