Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Hazydayz
      Participant

Hi, Can anyone help? The new divorce laws that were unveiled recently, how does it work? if your living under the same roof and wanting to divorce from a monster? Any help much appreciated šŸ’ž

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Hi Hazydayz

I can tell you that the right to contest an application for divorce has gone, so all those women that were refused divorces by their husbands is a thing of the past, and that there is the possibility of a ‘no fault’ divorce. So there doesn’t have to be a ‘reason’ as such, you don’t have to cite domestic abuse, or adultery, or anything.

One of the driving forces behind this is also children, making divorces quicker and easier for children involved.

However, I haven’t taken a critical look at the details, so wouldn’t know if this is looking better on the surface than it really is in practice for women and children.

Rights of Women could be a good place to visit online to get a better understanding of the new policies and its implications for women and children.

Hope that helps some, if I see any more I’ll let you know.

warmest wishes

ts

Hazydayz
        Participant

Hi, Twisted Sister, thankyou!

Hazydayz
        Participant

If now there is a…No fault divorce? I’m wondering…will women, should that be victims! now still qualify? be entitled? to free legal aid? if they are unable to afford the cost of a divorce. If they have no supporting evidence from police? Because maybe under new laws…women / victims, will possibly not? be reporting DV or abuse instead…trying to apply for divorce alone, because they are in hope of it seeming more obtainable now. That is all a concern to me. So many questions in my head needing answers.

KIP.
      Participant

We have had a no fault divorce in Scotland for years and it strongly disadvantages us. It doesnā€™t matter if he hits you with a truck. Courts will only look at finances meaning I had to go through the civil court with a personal injury claim against him. Prolonging the agony, expense and giving him plenty more opportunity to abuse.

Hazydayz
        Participant

Thanks KIP, you read my mind! And I wasn’t even finished writing the post I just added. Great minds eh?

Twisted Sister
        Participant

by god haven’t they made this simplistic for themselves, and more complex for women, because, lets face it, it is women in the large majority that needed to be able to cite DA and access the additional protections that [briefly] afforded.

Sorry for your experience KIP. Revolting, also bearing in mind its also a crime and not a civil matter!

Twisty govt.

Hereforhelp
      Participant

Hazydayz, I agree as for me, no physical evidence only evidence of some of the abuse (which wasn’t enough and I cannot put myself through the SA interview as I do not have faith in the legal system re DA anyhow). So I tick no fault divorce and then they will go through his finances which I know he has spent/hidden over the time we have separated. I cannot win and should be grateful for no fault divorce.. for me it isn’t advantageous and the DA claim has been shut down… I have been told I should be grateful for this new law, I am not as I cannot afford a solicotr, I am not entitled to legal aid so I am sat just waiting … for what I don’t know… rights for woman are constantly engaged as it is open for just 2 hrs a day in my area … best of luck Hazydayz ā¤

Hazydayz
        Participant

Oh…HereforhelpšŸ˜± I’m so sorry! You have my deep felt sympathy for what your going through and have gone through. Don’t give up hope of getting the help. Best of luck to you toošŸ’•

Hereforhelp
        Participant

I won’t give up and if I succeed in any area of divorce I will let you know x how are you today? I habe been a bit all over the place as he keeps trying to contact me and I am so exhausted with his BS reasons to contact me.

Lots of love ā¤ļø

Twisted Sister
        Participant

Hi all

I am shocked to discover that it will no longer be possible to level accusations of Domestic Abuse at one’s ex/partner, under this new law.

Now I see how well this works for men, who are fed up of being held to account, and it wipes away all traces of domestic abuse upon which very particular forms of proceeeding rely.

Gone! So for any women that are brave enough to cite abuse in their marriage, can no longer have the (often unreliable] protections available under the legislation that was also recently brought in to protect women as domestic abuse victims in divorce, like not having to face their perpetrator and so on.

This is shocking.

Hazydayz
        Participant

Hi again Hereforhelp. I’m ok thankyou for askingā¤ļø I hope your not so all over the place today? And feeling less exhausted? Maybe he’s leaving you alone today? and your finding breathing and healing space. I hope so. Take care of yourself. Lots of lovešŸ’•

Twisted Sister
        Participant

Hi

Having just looked on the .gov website, I couldn’t see that there were other options than the no fault one, whereas you say there are tick boxes to select which one?

Was that just because of the timing of your divorce application, or does it remain that women still can divorce on grounds of DA?

Noone ever presented this in the media as being a case of removing all other options to women, other than no fault, and bang, there go the already very scant data on domestic abuse. What a fet out of jail free card this is.

ts

Tea-and-biscuits
      Participant

I could be wrong but I thought the no fault divorce could be done on line but I’m sure you can still go to a solicitor and use one of the other options but then they can contest. I’m hoping to do the no fault online. If I’m brave enough then I have a follow up app with solicitor to tie up loose ends. I read about claiming legal aid and it said you just needed support from a dv worker. But I haven’t tried this yet .
      Good luck everyone xx

Twisted Sister
        Participant

from what I read, yes, definitely to be done on-line, although there were also going to be options to do hard copy also. Initially reading what was written it came across as can only be done online, but yes, it does say other options available.

What I couldn’t see was whether it was still possible to cite DA, that definitely wasn’t clear, but this would make sense, and be much better for women that they have either choice still.

every strength and good wish to you for yours x

ts

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hello all,

I thought it might be helpful to offer some support on this.

The No Fault Divorce Law was introduced on the 6th April 2022. Rights of Women have added some information about this to their website: https://rightsofwomen.org.uk/get-information/family-law/divorce/

Their Family Law advice line one option for further advice, as well as Citizens Advice, and Flows.

Please do remember, when discussing legal issues on the forum, not to include specific or identifying information, or details about court cases.

Thank you,
      Lisa

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ā© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England ā€“ Womenā€™s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Womenā€™s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions ā”‚ Privacy & cookie policy ā”‚ Site map ā”‚ Protect yourself onlineā”‚ MediaĀ ā”‚Ā Jobs ā”‚ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content