Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      StrongLife
      Participant

I got out some time ago from abusive relationship. It continues on with effects on my life, people not understanding exactly what is at stake, and feeling scared/triggered. I thought everything was ok and my life was looking good and that I was moving on however this week it’s been overwhelming. This was due to people’s misconceptions.

I am seeing domestic violence counsellors and have been for some time as I can find right counsellors. This has worked somewhat.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi StrongLife,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing with us. I’m sorry to read you’ve had an overwhelming week. I hope you find the forum a safe and supportive place to be with others who understand.

If you feel like you are in need of some additional support, you could chat to a Women’s Aid worker in confidence via our Live Chat service (open every day). They won’t tell you what to do, but can discuss your situation and signpost you to other support that’s relevant for you.

Do keep posting to let us know how you’re getting on.

Lisa
      Forum Moderator

Escapee
      Participant

Hi stronglife

A sister escapee here.
      I’ve given up with others “getting it” – we know what we endured and that’s all that matters really (though an understanding sounding board can be a wonderful thing too have!)

I too am still putting myself back together. When I feel frustrated with my health and the anxiety and depression I sit with it and think about the road I’ve travelled and I realise that I am winning; slowly but surely.

We need to remember to be kind and patient with ourselves 💜

fullmoontonight
      Participant

Welcome to the forum, StrongLife.

I totally agree with Escapee when she says she’s given up on others getting it. I got fed up of trying to explain myself and explain what he did and in the end I just stopped talking about it, so it’s nice to have a forum of understanding women who are in similar situations and don’t ask you awkward questions. Like Escapee says, we know what’s happened to us, and we don’t have to ‘prove’ that we were abused to our friends.

Wishing you all the best.

StrongLife
      Participant

So true – having to continue to explain and explain is difficult. I’m still explaining now and seeing things that cause concerns

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content