Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      KIP.
      Participant

I asked my GP to re refer me to psycological services a while ago when I was suffering PTDS and nightmares again after he was convicted and appeared at the bottom of the street etc.
      Here’s a bit of the letter they sent me “since you have recently re engaged with Women’s Aid this is likely to be the best support for you at this time” and “Living Life to the Full is a web based life skills course that aims to tackle and respond to issues and demands which we all meet in everyday lives”.
      We all meet in everyday lives? Do we all suffer uncontrollable panic when we smell an aftershave, or hear a certain ring tone, or even the vibration from a phone, or see flowers or hear loud footsteps? Do we all have restraining orders to arrange or have a psychopath intent on destroying our lives.
      Then at the bottom of the letter they kindly tell me if I feel suicidal to ring NHS 24!
      With the help of rape crisis helpline and women’s aid helpline I managed to crawl my way through that awful period. Now I’m feeling stronger I’m going to complain. Do not let the NHS away with this kind of ignorant behaviour. My WA worker, who ive not been with for s long time, has 24 women on her books alone. She’s not trained in mental health issues or can prescribe drugs. Complain complain complain……..

older lady
      Participant

Living life to the full, eh? x

Suntree
      Participant

Wow on my goodness.

Complain. This is just the GP getting you off their books so they don’t have to take responsibility y or spend any money.
      Disgraceful.

Escaped not free
      Participant

This is awful Kip. Probably anniversaries and the thought of dealing with him again in court is making this worse for you at the moment. There’s a book I’m reading just now which is very good, dealing specifically with trauma. Trauma…compassion based therapy approach. I’d recommend it. I have found it helpful in making me understand these panic responses to what aren’t actually current threats. X

Serenity
      Participant

I had plenty of experience at my old GP surgery of well-paid doctors sitting on their laurels, lacking empathy and passing the buck.

So much so, I changed surgeries. And now, which ever doctor I happen to see there, they are proactive and wonderful.

If I were you, I would change doctors. I know they are very busy, but they are certainly paid for the privilege.

WalkerInTheRain
      Participant

Unfortunately, a lot of the mental health services are farmed out to third party service providers.
      These generally have more registered patients than they can realistically see every week and will also only really offer CBT or general couselling for self esteem, bereavement, general anxiety disorders etc.
      Anyone who needs more long term help than the seemingly alloted 3-6 sessions but isn’t unwell enough to be an inpatient seem to be falling through the cracks.

It’s dreadful that you’ve been proactive in seeking help (which can’t have been easy) and you’ve been rebuffed 🙁

godschild
      Participant

KIP,Ive had this type of treatment this year , my GP did not want to listen to me on the phone about the abuse going on, he just said I will refer you to community mental heath team, he did and when they came out the phyciatrist gave me a number for a DV place that did not even reply, she said our services have nothing to offer you, i had told my GP I was finding it difficult to function with every day tasks and crying etc, they are useless, i improved on my own with WA helper in the end but these people should be trained to help the numerous victims of DV.
      All they offer is these stupid places that give pat answers and stupid things to do that dont work.
      I ended up at A and E then the end of last year and the Mental health nurse turned round and told me that i was choosing to stay in an abusive relationship, she knew about my phobia’s and she said you still have the same choice that i have as to whether I get up and go to work in the morning , she DID NOT HAVE agorpahobia.
      You should complain they are as helpful as a chocolate tea pot
      If the NHS stopped dolling out drugs to every abused woman and spent the money on proper resourses for them and educated themselves on it, what a better place we would be in all they know is drugs, and pat answers and superficial so called therapies xx.

Millionpieces
      Participant

I went to NHS after I’ve been abused, I was so confused and asked for psychiatric but just referred to WA.. I was gutted but I search in the Internet some other ways to get help. I can’t explain how desperate I did to survive that time. I didn’t get any psychiatric only counsellor. In the beginning on my counselling just get me from bad to worse. I was in suicidal thought all the time, yet again I don’t give up. I listened to you tube, search in the Internet to understand what’s happening in my life. When I found this forum, everything makes sense, everything become so clear and realise there’s lovely people here gone through same thing,it’s given me so much strength to survive. Here I am a survivor still fighting to get my self back. I end my counselling now and my counsellor was impressed how far I bacome since I first counselling.
      Even the housing that they promise I can’t afford. If we relay on those help we never be able to survive. The whole systems is F*** I don’t understand how some people get the system on their side.

Millionpieces
      Participant

Sorry I was referred to local DV or whatever it was.

SaharaD
      Participant

As far as I can tell NHS resources are ringfenced. If you have substance abuse issues you cannot access CMHT until you get clean.

The Trust I belong to has a Recovery College but only recently introduced a course for women who have experience abuse as adults. None of the women, I met were still with their abuser. They assessed us first before we could join. I suppose they would much rather Women’s aid and other DV organisations handle the risk and the initial trauma.

They only seem able to assess under a diagnosis of PTSD but I think you can only get that years after the initial trauma.

Unfortunately, these are standard letters that they send to everybody from a cut and paste template. So they come across unfeeling. The same with DWP assessment letters for ESA and PIP due to disability resulting from abuse.

Some of the more expensive treatments they won’t offer to people who do not live in a stable environmental because they believe that it would be a waste of the therapy.

To be honest I’m glad they didn’t put me through any therapy and just gave me drugs because I was like a zombie and any therapy would have been in effective. The drugs allowed me to get out of bed and to go to sleep. I couldn’t eat, cook and barely washed myself or my clothes. I just went to my jobs lime a zombie.

To be honest the only psychiatrist I saw that was ever helpful was a private one. Psychiatrist rarely deliver therapy. It’s their job to prescribe, diagnose and give the prognosis.

Counselling and therapy is where the real work is.

Ayanna
      Participant

I agree KIP, it is a joke. I am going to complain too. How dare they normalize rape and flashbacks and victimise me for being careful around people? I met some evil people in that area of health care and I have serious concerns about the safety of abused women. Not everyone needs drugs and therapy should not be for a few special people.
      The problem of domestic abuse is so huge and it is a violation of women’s human rights that there is not any better support.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content