Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      terribleheadspace
      Participant

It’s been a while now since I left and I’ve had lots of dreams about the abuser but last night I had a full blown nightmare.
      Everything has stopped recently in regards to I’m now as safe as I think I am going to feel in the near future. I cant sleep without having a show on in the background or noise and it can still take a good 2 hours to get to sleep, by the time my working week is over I am exhausted, but then I dont have the distraction of work so I feel like I cant escape the memories of it, so I just lay in bed and watch show after show until I fall asleep sometimes 12 hours of sleep on my days off.

Dont know the point of the post really, just I am struggling I guess, I feel exhausted all the time. I just want a day of peace does that make sense.

tryingtosleep
      Participant

Hey terribleheadspace – I understand about the not sleeping bits! Have you tried playing radio podcasts on your phone? Sometimes that helps me…
      Distracts my brain sometimes xx

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Terribleheadspace. So sorry to hear you’re having nightmares it’s truely exhausting and frustrating but the cycle does break eventually. I promise. But it can be a slow process so be kind to yourself. When I was at my worst someone said even though it’s horrible having nightmares it shows progress. They went on to say that when someone’s in the thick of abuse there is so much to cope with. It’s only when you have a bit of “distance” from the situation that your brain starts to process things. Essentially a nightmare is your brain trying to make sense of past abuse. I hope this helps xx

orchid7
      Participant

Heya, I had lots of nightmares, they gradually started to fade, I have them occasionally now if I get triggered, I agree I was told it was my brain trying to process it. Have you tried getting a good bedtime routine like having a bath and meditating and then a tea before bed. Doing that every night until it becomes natural. I also used to journal before bed helped to get it out. Would right about the abuse but then finish with some positive things completely unrelated to the abuse. So sorry you are feeling this way xx

StrongLife
      Participant

Once I felt in safer space I got nightmares and remember they went away. Yrs later it’s rare I get them . They were passing phase for me

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content