Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Tenerifeseaoth
      Participant

Morning, I hope you are all doing ok.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has suffered with nightmares or dreams with their ex partner/current partner in?

I can’t remember the last time I didn’t dream about him. The dreams vary, they can be as simple as him just being in the background on a bench or something but they can be as bad as reliving some of the stuff he’s done. The last nightmare was him hunting me down with a weapon and me doing everything I can do hide, but he found me and held me hostage.

I’ve tried so much to calm them. Meditation, rewriting the ending or the version I’d prefer in order to process the dream, writing it down and talking to people. It just won’t let up. It’s been such a long time.

I don’t know what to do?

X

Marmalade
      Participant

I understand this totally. I have been there. Have you had any therapy? It helps to be able to talk to someone. A good therapist will give you advice about how best to deal with this.
      Is there a Freedom Programme in your area? Meeting other ladies and learning about abuse can help with processing it.
      It sounds as though your brain is processing what has happened to you and is presenting you with “disaster” type scenarios in your head to reflect your anxiety and upset. There is usually a gap between a relationship ending and the processing starting as the brain comes out of flight or fight mode and begins to absorb the enormity of what has happened to us.
      If you are not in therapy, maybe reach out to your GP. They maybe able to refer you to agencies who can help you. I think you have police involvement so they should also have signposted you to people who can support you.
      Nightmares can be one of the signs of PTSD, although there are also lots of other symptoms as well.
      Good luck, hopefully the nightmares will fade as time passes.

Tenerifeseaoth
      Participant

It’s tough isn’t it? Thank you so much for your message and sorry to hear you’ve experienced this too.

I am in therapy and they have given me a few things to try and help but nothing seems to be calming them.

Thank you for your kind words and advice. This helps!

I hope you are doing ok!

StrongLife
      Participant

Nightmares and disturbing sleep. All very difficult.
      I remember them being worse at first then better later. Once I got a safe house the nightmares came.

Hereforhelp
      Participant

I was told the nightmares were due to PTSD, I have done some courses which have helped (Pattern Change was really insightful and helpful) .. however I still had broken sleep with nightmares which affected my already fragile.mental health, I have been on antidepressants for some months and they have helped me tremendously…
      I Hope you find a way to banish these nightmares as they can be so distressing, also you may not need antidepressants, that is what worked for me so thought I would share it x
      HFH ❤️

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Hi there, I found my nightmares were worse when I was having to make a major decision as those decisions were doing things that affected the relationship, taking me further away from him, even though id left at that time. Once I made the decision, even as simple as changing dog food for example, cos it was a decision I’d made without him, and I got through the aftermath without any major drama, the nightmares called down a bit.
      They’re definitely a way for the brain and body to process what we came through and knowing we’re safe now helps to change the inner turmoil.
      IWMB 💞 💞

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content