Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ayanna
      Participant

I am plagued by nightmares.
      The same theme comes up every night in different versions.
      It makes me incredibly sad and distressed and I scream in my sleep.
      I feel exhausted, drained, besides myself.

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Hi Ayanna, I’m really sorry to hear how much you are suffering with nightmares, they sound absolutely awful.

I was having a lot of nightmares too, towards the end of the relationship (when I didn’t realised I was in an abusive relationship) and a lot just after I left. I just wanted to let you know I can relate and you’re not alone. What helped me was to put a notepad by my bed and every time I woke up with either a nightmare or racing panicky thoughts, I wrote it all down even if it was 5am and I was really drowsy. Each time I was then able to go back to sleep as my brain wasn’t trying to process it going round and round. My notepad is now permanently kept there just in case. Maybe you could try that and see if it helps? I’m sure the other ladies will have some good ideas too especially those who are further into their recovery.

Jupiter
      Participant

Hello Ayanna

You are not alone with this horrible issue. As you maybe know, nightmares are the mind’s way of working through all the trauma and will get better in time. This happens to me too and I have a night light in my bedroom to bathe it in pink light.Also I find it helps to go to bed only when I am tired enough-if I go too early I end up being restless.
      Re tv at night,I avoid anything unpleasant or scary so that my mind is in the mood to try and relax.These are simple things but effective in creating more soothing thoughts.Sometimes I knit a scarf as the movement is very meditative and good for ptsd. On top of that, eating something tasty or eating sweets helps to relax you as the pleasure and rythm all act as a distraction.I even find peeling pistachio nuts therapeutic.
      As the above post says, writing your thoughts down gives your head a break,diluting any problems.
      Jupiter x

Jupiter
        Participant

Sorry —meant to type rhythm ! J

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content