Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Tryingtofindhope
      Participant

Hello ladies,
      Sorry to bother you all with something so trivial but I wonder if any of you have done something similar,faced the same problems and how you went about it.
      I’ve really been wanting to raise money and awareness for WA for quite some time now and have just signed up for the womens aid 1.6 challenge and will be (detail removed by moderator) as my challenge. My problem is that Im not on social media because he wont allow it so I dont really know how to go about raising awareness. Secondly, I dont want him to find out what Im raising money for and thirdly I dont want people that dont know my situation to start asking questions.
      I didnt really think this through and feel really stupid now. But Im very passionate about it so kind of just jumped in head first. I dont know what to do

Wants To Help
      Participant

Hi,

Wow, that is a challenge and quite a run! Well done for taking it on.

I’m just thinking back to the ‘good old days’ before social media and wondering how we got sponsorship back then…? I guess we just asked our close friends and work colleagues. You could always tell some people you are doing the run on behalf of someone close to you that has been supported by WA, you don’t have to mention it is you. Sometimes friends of friends will sponsor, or friends of family members.

Charities are very grateful for ANY money they get, it is about the awareness and support as much as it is about the money. Some years ago I had a little get together with friends and raised (detail removed by moderator) for a charity. When I took it in to them I apologised that “it wasn’t much” as I was really hoping to raise quite a bit more. They were so grateful and told me that it was the thousands of people who raised “not much” that kept them going.

This run is for you too you know. The training, the commitment, the time and energy, every step you take will enforce all the positive reasons of why you are doing this and it will do wonders for your mental health and fitness. It’s going to bring you together with many others with similar stories to share, whether it be about themselves or a loved one they are doing it in aid of. I think it’s a lovely thing you’re doing, nothing stupid about it at all 🙂

soxy
      Participant

Well done, sounds good! I will have to have a look :-). You can set up a Just Giving page (no idea how as others have always done it!). But that way you can ask for sponsorship and then can just go on to the page donate and you haven’t got to have the bother of collecting in sponsorship. As to why you are doing it, you could just say, there has been so much in the news about the increase in cases and stress on charities during lockdown you wanted to do something for them. It’s true, there has been a lot re domestic violence, so you can keep it generic for people who don’t need an explanation.

Good luck with the run 🙂 xx

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content