Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      gettingtired
      Participant

I read a section of Don Hennessey’s book ‘Steps to Freedom: Escaping intimate control’ that really resonated with my situation.

“A minority of male intimate partners will allow women freedom to behave as she wishes when he has no need for her, but will expect her to respond immediately when he has a need to be served by her. Men who act like that seem to be a small percentage of abusers, but you may be unfortunate enough to be in a relationship with one of them. These men are very dangerous as they can lash out without prior warning. The partner of this kind of abuser lives on a knife-edge of fear, as she does not get any prior warning of an attack and has no idea when the next assault is imminent.”

This is exactly what my ‘partner’ is like. Can anyone else relate?

Bananaboat
      Participant

Yes! This makes it even more confusing to live with and leave, plus the ongoing anxiety of waiting for the next one and the clues it’s coming.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content