Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Wants To Help
      Participant

Thought I’d share something I read on the internet yesterday that gave me another of those “oh wow” moments.

A bottle of water in the convenience store is £1.

The same bottle of water in a restaurant is £5, at a festival it’s £10.

It’s the same bottle, same brand, just in different places. Each place gives it a different value.

When you feel worthless change your place, don’t stay there. Know your value.

How many of us on here write that we feel worthless, we’ve lost our self confidence, self respect, self esteem?

We have to remember that WE ARE worthy, we CAN be confident again, we CAN get everything back, but only if we change something, and this doesn’t mean we have to change WHO we are, just WHERE we are.

I was once a confident, independent, outgoing woman. I met a man whose constant criticism, put downs, insults, control, physical restraints, physical violence, sneers, looks, belittling comments etc stripped me of all of this. I now realise that as a confident, independent, outgoing woman I was a threat to him, I was someone he couldn’t match, someone he couldn’t have an equal relationship with. He had to strip me of my powers so that he could be the ‘all powerful’ one. Leaving him and educating myself on DA and my own insecurities made me stronger. It was the best thing I did for myself and my son. I know my worth. I am now a £10 bottle of water.

How many of you ladies want to join me on the £10 shelf?

xx

Bananaboat
      Participant

I saw this earlier too and agree, it hit home especially with challenges at work currently too. Im realising I stay places too long to please others but at my own detriment. So time to look for change. I’m aiming for that £10 shelf – see you there! x

Wants To Help
        Participant

There’s a space right next to me banana boat and it’s got your name on it 😁
        See you soon x

nbumblebee
      Participant

Always feel like a 5p bottle or actually im the water from a tap if that and no matter how hard I try I dont feel Im worth more.
      Reading this is powerful really powerful. I wanna be that £1 £5 maybe one day £10 I just dont know how to get there.
      Thanks for this it really is a powerful post. Sending love and hugs xxxx

Wants To Help
        Participant

Nbumblebee, I’ll bet you only feel like a 5p bottle of water at home? When you were volunteering you felt worth a lot more, when they employed you you felt even more expensive, every day you are at work you feel you have value, that you’re making a positive difference to someone’s life, that you’re appreciated and acknowledged. That just goes to show that’s it’s not YOU that is worth 5p, it’s where you live and the someone who lives there that makes you feel 5p – changing your location from home to work improves your value every time you leave the house. It’s NOT you lovely, it’s your location.

xx

nbumblebee
        Participant

There are days very few but they are there where I see this I know this there really are I feel strong and needed and yeah worth a quid or two but most days I still believe its me that its all in my head that I am making all this up that I just see it cause I wanna see it those days are when i feel like tap water dirty tap water.
        I wish I knew how to believe how to stop feeling guilty and like its all me then maybe then I can change my location as well as myself and even join you on that top shelf x

Marmalade
      Participant

Wants to Help, you have no idea how hard your comments about stripping of powers to be the “all powerful one” have hit home, especially as I have now discovered a pattern in his relationships which I saw but failed to compute before.
      It will take me a long while to get near any monetary value on self worth. I watch life from the sidelines. Its a very strange place to be. But onwards and upwards.
      Thanks for posting that and all your very sensible helpful posts generally.

Wants To Help
        Participant

I’m glad this has helped you in some way Marmalade. I don’t know where that bit of inspiration came from yesterday, but as I was typing I remembered how he used to tell me how he loved that I was bubbly and outgoing when we first met, and then after a while he hated that I was bubbly and outgoing because it meant I was always talking to someone or always offering to help someone, and of course, reading in to it, it meant that if my attention was on someone else it wasn’t on him. Thank you for your kind comments too, and as you say, “onwards and upwards”. I’ll see you soon 😉

xx

Eyesopening
      Participant

Love this ❤️
      I’m there x

Wants To Help
        Participant

Excellent, I’ll see you soon too 😉

xx

Hereforhelp
      Participant

Ohhhh… I like this … made me really think am I a free water fountain for all and sundry to take from, nope not anymore…or am I a £10 bottle of water 💧 🤔
      I am getting there
      ❤️

Wants To Help
        Participant

You certainly are, I’ll see you very soon too…
        This shelf is going to be very full in no time at all I think 🙂

sunshineLollypops
      Participant

Thank you for writing this it definitely makes sense.
      I see another about a crumpled £20 note still being a £20 regardless of its crumpled or not!
      It’s only when looking back I realise just how depressed I felt and how worthless he made me feel to the point I couldn’t get up in the morning, couldn’t face the day ahead.
      Being constantly pushed to the exteme that the extreme became my normal. He took all the power from me till I had no more to give.
      Still think of my ex often but have really focused on myself this year and building the ‘old me’ back up again.
      Thank you for sharing this

SingleMomSurvivor
      Participant

I love this! Thank you for sharing ❤️❤️❤️

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content