Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hi my ex abussive husband wants to take our children on holiday Christmas Day till New Year’s Day,,they need a passport but I’m worried about signing it, any advice on this would be appercated

Strube
      Participant

Hi Nikenikenkie,

If your ex has parental responsibility, then he is allowed to apply for passports for your children.

Do you have concerns that he will remove your children from the country and not return them? If so, I urge you to seek legal advice.

I applied for passports for our children (we have no plans to go abroad) so that I had them in my possession – my ex is the kind of person to use the passports to control and manipulate me.

Are you in a position to apply for passports before your ex does? You don’t need his authorisation to do so. If you can, it will stop your ex taking your children without your say so, and also give you a little more control over the situation.

Strube
      X

Hi yes he does,,he wants me to sorte this by tomoorw,,he still emotionally abusing me,, I’m worried about him taken them n not returning,what do I do? Thanks for getting replying

Strube
      Participant

This is a very distressing time for you. You’re anxious that your ex won’t return your children.

I must urge you to seek legal advice from a family solicitor, experienced in domestic abuse cases ideally. Most solicitors offer an initial free half hour. Rights of Women are also very useful and can give you legal advice over the phone.

I assume your children live with you and there are no court orders in place with regards to how much time the children spend with their father? If so, you can refuse his request to take your children abroad. In this instance, he would have to apply to the court for permission to take them abroad. If he takes them without your permission, it’s abduction In this instance I recommend you apply for the passports so that he can’t and you keep them somewhere safe, where he can’t find them.

You can also apply for an emergency court order to stop your ex taking your children out of the country until the court has heard your case. You would need strong evidence that he may not return them, to back you up.

I imagine this is a very daunting situation for you, but please don’t be intimidated into doing what he wants. You have rights too.

Stay strong.

Strube
      X

He picks when he can and can’t have the children, I just avoided him by saying I was in the shower,my mom answered the door, he wasn’t happy at all,my son told me last night that daddy had hit him,, I’m waiting on a call from waid,

SaharaD
      Participant

Hi Nike

Omg… please don’t let him have the children. Physical abuse is not good. It leaves deep mental scars. If there is a court order, you make have to speak to CAFCASS, social services and the children’s school. Be warned that they may assess you too and interview the children but you have to protect them if he is harming them physically or psychologically.

Speak to your son and try to find out why his father hit him and how hard. (detail removed by Moderator) I was hit (with whatever implement he found available) as a child and huge marks would show up on my skin sometimes for days and I am dark skinned! This was from my father. I was slapped by my mother but I remember it being justified ( I had been naughty and had caused her great distress). She did it with her hand and it didn’t leave any marks.

It is legal to spank you child in the UK but it has to be reasonable, preferably with your hand, in an appropriate place (not on the head or face) and not leave any marks.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content