Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      kitty
      Participant

I was having problems with my ex letting out our house. He denied me access to all finances, lied about them lots of times via text, letter etc. I posted a while ago about how I got access to the bank and withdrew money I was entitled to from property. Well, he has since had account frozen and now I have no idea where my money from letting is even going. I do suspect it is now being paid into the bank account of a family member of his. I see this as a deliberate attempt to hide the money from me. This is all controlling behaviour. I am getting divorced, and I wonder if I build up a picture of his previous behaviour along side what he is doing now it would help my case? He seems to think that he has the right to do all of this due to the fact I was in a small amount of arrears with the mortgage (I paid these in full before he started doing this). He keeps saying I have no right to access finances, be landlord of my property, yet he has got the mortgage into a terrible state of affairs and has spent most of the rental income. On it’s own this looks like a standard divorce issue, but when put with all of the horrid things he did its clearly a last ditch attempt to control me. Does anyone know how divorce courts would view this? He has admitted abuse in the divorce response.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Kitty,

I’m very sorry to read what your ex is doing, which certainly is financial abuse and controlling behaviour. It would be helpful if you collected as much evidence as you can of his behaviour, write down everything he has done and keep a diary from now on, if you are not already.
      It also helps to inform as many professionals as possible, if you feel able to, as they can all make a record; the police, your GP, a local domestic abuse service and the Helpline.

It would be helpful for you to get some legal advice about this. If you have not done so already try calling one of the following services;

The Rights of Women; 020 7251 6577 (see website for opening times)

Duncan Lewis Solicitors; 0333 772 0409

The Advice Now Website also has several practical guides you may find helpful.

Your local domestic abuse service may be able to help you to access some free legal advice too.

Kind Regards,

Lisa

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content