This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  butterfudge 4 days, 6 hours ago.

  • Author
  • #90323

    I started my divorce process at the (detail removed by moderator). There has been not progress.
    I have been told that I’m not eligible for legal aid. My salary is just over the threshold.
    I’m seeking a financial order and have been told it can cost thousands and that I will need a barrister.
    I’m worried about contacting my solicitor because every email costs me and doesn’t seem to be improving anything.
    I cant afford the potential legal fees but I don’t see any other option.
    Does this sound right?


  • #90334

    Ring Rights for Women for free legal advice. Some women have handled their own divorce, it might be an option. McKenzie friends can help there. If domestic abuse is involved then I’ve heard of women getting legal aid. Explore that avenue x

  • #90351

    There are various family law advice lines if you don’t already have a solicitor. Your local Women’s Aid may have a pro bono solicitor attached. Citizen’s Advice also offer free legal advice.

    Unfortunately there isn’t an easy way through divorcing an abuser. Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

    You want a solicitor who will do their utmost to keep you out of court. That is the biggest and most pointless expense. ROW is fantastic if you can get through. I have managed a couple of times by spending the full 2 hours on redial. The ROW website has lots of good information.

    I have been dragged down a rocky path which I had never imagined in a million years. You will get there. The bottom line is freedom from abuse.

    Solicitors are very black and white. I eventually found a website called Just Answer and found them helpful. It was a cheap way of floundering around trying to find the information I needed. It’s so difficult in such emotional turmoil to know what to ask.

  • #90388

    Definitely try Rights of Women, they give advice on how to do certain things on your own so you don’t need to pay a solicitor. I’ve just started this process so can’t advise further but I will be doing as much alone as I can. Good luck and sending hugs. X

  • #90546

    Some courts run a personal support unit and they can give you free advice and refer you to the pro bono unit
    Your mp , citizens advise and some law centres may be appli to refer you too
    They were really helpful and although they couldn’t find me a barrister for my court date they did really try
    Just google bar pro bono

  • #90547

    Birmingham – 0121 250 6354
    Bournemouth – 01202 417 606
    Bristol – 0117 366 4809
    Cardiff – 0292 034 3685
    Chelmsford – 01245 245 527
    Chester – 01244 404 299Coventry – 0121 250 6354
    Exeter and Devon – 01392 415 335
    Leeds – 0113 306 2764
    Liverpool – 0151 296 2296
    London – 020 7947 7701
    Manchester – 0161 240 5037
    Newcastle – 01912 618 016
    Newport – 0292 0343 685
    Nottingham – 0115 947 3592
    Preston – 01772 844 920
    Sheffield – 0114 281 2456Southampton – 0238 0829862

    A list of numbers for personal support units

  • #90788

    Thank you!

  • #90794

    butterfudge – out of interest what was the salary threshhold as I am trying to find out if I’m eligible as I am going to have a fight on my hands over finances and child access and quoted it could cost up to 10k!! Which I don’t have! sending strength and hope you get some support from ROW x

  • #90796

    Also I just found this when googling
    ‘ The eligibility limits may be waived in certain circumstances. For example, in certain
    proceedings relating to domestic violence, female genital mutilation and forced marriage the
    eligibility limits may be dis-applied if it is considered equitable to do so. Thus an individual
    applying for legal aid for such cases may still receive legal aid even if their income or capital
    exceeds the eligibility limits described above’

    So maybe ask WA or ROW??

  • #108094

    Sorry I’ve just seen this. I earn £(detail removed by Moderator). What stops me from Legal Aid, Universal Credit and advice from Christians against poverty is that I share ownership of a Timeshare. Because the timeshare is like a second mortgage its seen as a second home. It’s that that is preventing financial help. I can’t give it away, no one wants Timeshares. It’s in joint names its part of our settlement.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.


© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ Jobs

Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Create Account