Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • #163015

      Can anyone advise me on the process of reporting coercive and controlling behaviour to the police? I spoke to a DA service online who said that I can report it to the police and they won’t action it if I’m not in danger. Is this true? When I google it says they’ll want to interview us both etc and at this moment in time that would make things a lot worse.

    • #163019
      Main Moderator

      Hi GinAndTonicLostMary,

      Other forum members won’t be able to share their personal experiences about reporting coercive control to the police, as this is a public forum and discussions of this kind can jeopardise investigations and future legal proceedings, so any advice offered will only be general information.

      As well as any information given here, you could contact Rights of Women who offer free legal advice. They have a guide, Reporting An Offence to the Police and they have a Criminal Law Advice Line you can call to talk through your specific concerns with an advisor.

      Take care and keep posting,

    • #163023

      Your police may have a Domestic Abuse team on 101. It’s worth giving it a ring and finding out.

      The police are there to keep us safe and in the first instance will probably want to meet you and find out what’s going on. They can explain to you what your options are and what they can and can’t do. It’s really not like Police Interceptors!

      If you choose to make a statement, you should be offered the support of an ISVA or IDVA. Victim Support can also offer help and advice whether or not you have reported to police.

      Everyone’s situation is different. There’s a lot of help and support out there to tap into.

    • #163270

      This is a good question. I want to ‘log’ some stuff with the police but not have them take it any further unless I say so.

    • #163328

      I am also wrestling with how to report to the police. Please be reassured that they want to protect you and prevent things from escalating. I have managed to speak to 101 and Victim Support and very much got that vibe from them.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content