Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      KIP.
      Participant

Anyone got any experience of dealing with journalists. Had one at my door wanting my side. I don’t know if I can trust him. He did exaggerate in his story about the trial? He says I can write a statement and he will print it as I’ve written. I’ve contacted WA to see if they want to jump on the bandwagon with publicity but they haven’t got back to me? I’m not scared about upsetting my ex (much), just don’t want things twisted for my sons sake. There are two other investigations so I don’t want to risk jeopardising them. Who would I speak to. Am I opening a can of worms?

Winterblues2
      Participant

I often think of this as it is possible I may face a similar situation later in the year due to my exs job. Let me know what you find out x

Confused123
      Participant

Hey Hun

Sorry have no experience , hope u ok

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi KIP, I think consulting Women’s Aid is a good idea. I think it’s probably not a good idea to speak to the press without some final say over what will be printed. You don’t want t be seen as saying things that you haven’t said or that have been taken out of context. Maybe try and call Women’s Aid again and see what information they can give you.

Best wishes

Lisa

Forum Moderator

Alone
      Participant

I agree. Journalists will often tell you that you have more power over the story than they actually grant you in the end. It is all about getting in readers, and if that means skipping details or embellishing the wrong ones, in quite a few cases they do that. If you do want to speak to them, please make sure you get any agreements in writing, that way they will be legally obligated to follow through.

xx

Alone
      Participant

Sorry, just wanted to add that also in some cases, the journalist could mean what they say, and write a fair and truthful story, but then have the editor turn around and say they want parts changed. Having a written agreement/contract will help protect you against the changes being made during any stages of the publication process.

xx

Daisy
      Participant

KIP,
      You mentioned other investigations,
      So that’s a worry , how could any interview from you at this stage not be seen to be influencing or prejudicing them?,
      X x x

KIP.
      Participant

Thank you. I spoke to someone at the court who said not to speak to them because there are other investigations but a general piece about DV and WA was ok. I wanted to thank WA and the Police etc. I’d love to stick it to him but I think he’s done that to himself already. This journalist already exaggerated the story about the case with shocking headlines so if I do make a statement I will email it to him. It’s a really grey area.

White Rose
      Participant

Hi KIP The only journalist I would trust is one of my best friends and even then I don’t think I’d want my story published anywhere.
      My advice is to say no.
      I think women’s aid using the opportunity to raise awareness is great but not so close to your case xx

bubbles
      Participant

If you don’t want to stir the pot maybe it is wise to keep your story out of the public eye until it is over in the courts maybe? Papers do have a tendency to twist things and having t*t for tat all over them is that what you really want?

Personally i would keep quiet until after the case. good luck x

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content