Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Alone
      Participant

If you have genuine concerns someone will hurt themselves if you get them to leave, what’s the best thing to do? Speak to their GP first? Is there some other way to try to minimise the effect?

xx

Confused123
      Participant

HUn

They all say this , let his family get involved, u cant stay trapped , if he has no family u could log with police or gp

Alone
      Participant

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

The man in question hasn’t threatened to do anything to himself, but knowing how he is, myself and someone else are concerned that he might. He doesn’t know he’s about to be asked to leave, I’m just trying to work out the safest way to make it happen

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Alone,

I am sorry to hear about this situation. The fact is that Confused is right, abusive people often use the threat (or suggestion) of hurting themselves to prevent their partners from leaving or ending the relationship. It is a very common form of emotional abuse and manipulation. Please phone the helpline for some advice on safety planning and ending the relationship based on individual circumstances.

Best wishes,

Lisa
      Forum Modurator

Alone
      Participant

Thanks for the reply.

He doesn’t know he’s about to be asked to leave, he hasn’t threatened to hurt himself, but past behaviour of things he has done to himself give us genuine concerns that he might. He’s not the type to actually say anything, just more likely to go off and do it. He’s not someone who can cope on his own.

Thanks anyway.

x

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content