Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      shine bright 2
      Participant

Hi all,

Im in full time work. I get working tax credits childcare element. I hate working full time. We had such a traumatic time…i want to be around my kids and give them time. Im also in need of some calm time for myself.
      Is it possible to become more part time and make up thw difference in benefits. Im not a scrounger and it wouldnt be forever, but childcare cost so much and we are aĺl tired and stressed. Would I be able to do this or would they just say its ur fault for moving to a job with this less hours.Anyone able to give me some advise?

Dragonfly
      Participant

Hi – you can go to http://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-calculator – just work out your salary on reduced hours and go through the questions, that will give you an idea of the amount you will receive. It’s worth a try and if you do decide to contact them they’ll ask you if you’ve done the calculator first! Sorting out your priorities is paramount, do what you need to do.

shine bright 2
      Participant

Thanks dragonfly…will def uae that. Thwy cant stop me claiming if I voluntarily reduce my hours can they?

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Shinebright,

I just wanted to say please have a look at the Gingerbreadadvice line, http://www.gingerbreadadviceline.org.uk they stress they can advice about tax credits. Turn2us, http://www.turn2us.org.uk should be able to help you too. You are doing so well and if a bit of time away from work may help you and your family to heal then it sounds like a great idea to look into.

Best wishes,

Lisa
      Forum Moderator

Dragonfly
      Participant

I’ve reduced and increased my hours so many times over the years and always received tax credits. I think you have to work a minimum of 16 hrs?? to qualify. They can’t stop your claim because you’ve reduced your hours. I was never asked why I reduced (or increased) my hours. They just need to know your salary, number of hours, who lives with you etc.

shine bright 2
      Participant

Thanks Lisa and Dragonfly thats such good news. Totally exhausted. Now things are better and calmer… i think tiredness and emotial dained feeling have hit. I think my kids need me to. Will check out both websites too…thanx x*x

Serenity
      Participant

I’m surprised you’ve managed full-time hours, sweetie, bearing in mind all you’ve been through!

I work part-time hours. This is mostly because of my health, but also I feel I need to be around a bit for the kids.

I’ve never been asked about why so only work part-time. I receive working families tax credits for the first time ever. I don’t think they will ask you your reasons for reducing your hours.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content