Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Maidenhair
      Participant

My husband has been breaking me down for a few years now. I finally made the decision to leave at Christmas but wanted to stay so my daughter could see out her year at school. I’ve been told if I just leave, he could claim abduction.

I’ve gotten a solicitor, paid the first amount. And haven’t told my husband, we both still live under the same roof.

Now I’m sitting here wondering if I’ve done the right thing. But at the same time, I know I need to leave, and in the long run, it’s better for me and the kids. As it’s already affecting them.

I don’t know if it’s guilt or stress.

Oh, and the solicitor said that he might get a really good lawyer and I could lose my kids anyway. I just want to do it the right way. All I want is to leave and the kids.

Sungirl
      Participant

I’m not sure how old your kids are but when I previously got legal advice I was told over the age of about 9 years a child’s own views will be considered, and a court can’t order kids to see or live with a parent if the child doesn’t want to. Have you applied for Divorce? Do you both own the property you live in? As part of the Divorce process these are things that will be decided. The abuse doesn’t come into it once you get to the Divorce stage apparently, and everything starts from a place of 50/50.

Maidenhair
        Participant

Thanks for replying.
        My kids are (detail removed by Moderator). And I’m adding divorce into it as well. Otherwise I will get no benefits. Because I have (detail removed by Moderator) properties in my name as part of ‘his business’.
        He can everything. I just want a clean slate and a future with my kids. He’s already said that he would rather be unhappy and together. Than be apart. Because the kids the need a mum and dad. Not seeing the kids are affected

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content