Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Falling Skys
      Participant

when I started to distance myself from my abuser, I suffered lots of flash backs on what he did to me.

I was assessed and was put up for counselling, but it has taken an age and the flash backs have stopped and I don’t know if I want to go through with it.

I suppose Im scared of opening the boxes, I just don’t know what to do.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I feel counciling will do you good . Iam waiting myself talking and opening up is a good thing. I will do anything to get past my trauma .. good luck what you decide to do though xx

Falling Skys
      Participant

Thank you I Am Free

I ready wanted it and now I just want to run and hide.

I went through months of reliving the rapes and now its control again. But I suppose that if I do nothing the flash backs could start at anytime, and if I did counselling I could be supported through it.

I do realise that I am lucky to get the offer.

FS x

Anonymous
      Inactive

Opening up does make you feel.a lot beeter hun .. trust me it will help you take all the help you need .they are professionals and they will help you deal with the trauma … you will be fine xx

Serenity
      Participant

It might make you feel worse for a short time. I remember feeling very triggered. But I do believe it is the only way- talking it out, like letting pus out of a wound.

We might think we are coping by not speaking about it, but often we are just burying things.

You’re being very brave throughout everything, FS X

Falling Skys
      Participant

Dear iamfree and serenity

Thank you for your kind words and support.

I will confirm to them that I will attend when I finish work.

I’m quite emotional today about it so I think that proves I need to attend.

FS xx

Peaceful Pig
      Participant

I just wanted to add that I have found rape crisis counselling has made so much difference to me. My nightmares and flashbacks have stopped and I rarely hurt myself. I’m so glad I did it and feel so lucky and grateful to my counsellor. She is so skilled and kind. I hope you find the same xx

Shelly123
      Participant

I recentally had counselling and it did me wonders i felt i couldnt open up and once i was in there i just let everything out and after the first session it felt like a weight was lifted off my shouders. It may make you feel worde for a short period of time but then you should start to feel abit better. I felt as it was a stranger they wernt judging or having a certain opinion on the situation i could just go in there and cry/ rant away x

Falling Skys
      Participant

Thank you PP and Shelly

Your words is backing me up to go through with the counselling.

FS xx

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content