Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Tired of this
      Participant

For years, I have put up with a barrage of verbal abuse. I’m working with a psychologist and lawyer to leave my husband with my children. But it’s the verbal abuse which stays with. For years I’ve been called an worthless piece of s**t, c**t, neglectful mother etc etc. And now the words stay with me. I think often about (detail removed by moderator) because I cannot live like this. Has anyone else navigated a way through this?

KIP.
      Participant

Yes I navigated my way to the police and they removed him for me. I was just so frozen with years of abuse. Know that his game is to break you. To destroy your self esteem and confidence. It’s so hard to leave when we feel that bond to them but they are not bonded to us. It boils down to you or him and for the sake of your children please choose you and make that safe exit plan with women’s aid x it helped me to educate myself by reading Living with the Dominator. Researching the cycle of abuse, the power and control wheel, cognitive dissonance, gas lighting and reading Lundy Bancroft. I often thought of ending my life because of abuse but I wouldn’t deprive my child of a mother nor give my abuser the satisfaction but those feelings of total despair come from contact with an abuser and going forward you want to work on zero contact.

Tired of this
      Participant

Thank you for your reply. I’m researching counselling and EMDR – I have specific things he says stuck in my head – mostly ‘you’re worthless’ and I am wondering if specific trauma counselling might help. I have read some of the books you mentioned and they are excellent. Will continue working on getting him to move out.

Watersprite
      Participant

Hello you will start feeling your worth when you are no longer exposed to his abuse. It’s his behaviour not you that is making you feel this. Keep moving forwards you are doing so well don’t underestimate your progress x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content